Our goal for 2009 is very clear: we seek to deliver another year of solid profitability. Our first half performance is a good start tothis.
Barclays strategy is to achieve good growth through time bydiversifying its business base and increasing its presence inmarkets and segments that are growing rapidly.This is driven by the Group’s ambition to become one of ahandful of universal banks leading the global financial servicesindustry, helping customers and clients throughout the worldachieve their goals.The strategy is based on the principles of earn, invest and grow.
Supporting this are four strategic priorities:
Build the best bank in the UK
Accelerate the growth of global businesses
Develop retail and commercial banking activities inselected countries outside the UK
Enhance operational excellence.
Barclays five guiding principles are key to the waythe business operates:
– achieving collective and individualsuccess
– developing talented colleagues to reachtheir full potential, to ensure Barclays retains a leading position in the global financial services industry
Customer and client focus
– understanding customersand serving them brilliantly
– driving new ideas, adding diverse skills andimproving operational excellence
– acting with the highest integrity to retain thetrust of customers, external stakeholders and colleagues