Study Abroad: The Art and Politics of Italy 1
Preliminary Itinerary May 11
– Travel by plane from Detroit to Rome
– Arrive in Rome. Visit Column of Marcus Aurelius, Trevi Fountain, and Spanish Steps.
– Visit monuments of ancient Rome: Roman Forum, including the House of the Vestal Virgins, Arches of Titus and Constantine, Roman Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Trajan’s Forum and Column. Also visit Palazzo Venezia and the Capitoline Museums.
– Visit St. Peter’s Basilica, including the Dome of St. Peter’s. Visit Bernini’s St. Teresa in Ecstasy at Santa Maria della Vittoria. Also visit Caravaggio paintings at Santa Maria del Popolo and San Luigi dei Francesi.
– Vatican Museums, including the Sistine Chapel and Raphael’s School of Athens. Visit the Four Roman Temples at Largo Argentina and the Ara Pacis Museum and Piazza.
– Pantheon, Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Piazza Navona. Afternoon activity (students will chose between the Protestant Cemetery, Christian Catacombs of St. Sebastian, or the Baths of Caracalla)
– Museo Nazionale Romano: Palazzo Massimo alle Terme to see ancient Roman art and the Villa Borghese to see Baroque sculpture and paintings.
– Travel by train to Pompeii, visit the ruins, including the streets, houses, Forum, Basilica, Amphitheater, Villa of the Mysteries, and the Baths.
– Visit Herculaneum, and then travel by train to Florence. Visit Duomo (Cathedral) of Santa Maria del Fiore, Brunelleschi’s Dome, and the Museum of the Dome.