2 Center for American Progress | The Women’s Leadership Gap
• In he legal ﬁeld, hey are 45.4 percen o associaesbu only 25 percen o noneq-uiy parners and 15 percen o equiy parners.
• In medicine, hey comprise 34.3 percen o all physicians and surgeons
bu only 15.9 percen o medical school deans.
• In inormaion echnology, hey hold only 9 percen o managemen posiions and accoun or only 14 percen o senior managemen posiions a Silicon Valley sarups.
• Alhough women conrol 80 percen o consumer spending in he Unied Saes, hey are only 3 percen o creaive direcors in adverising.
• Teir image onscreen is sill creaed, overwhelmingly, by men. • Women accouned or jus 16 percen o all he direcors, execuive producers, pro-ducers, wriers, cinemaographers, and ediors who worked on he op-grossing 250 domesic ﬁlms o 2013,
and were jus 28 percen o all oﬀscreen alen on broadcas elevision programs during he 2012-13 primeime season.
• When, however, here are more women behind he camera or a he edior’s desk, he represenaion o women onscreen is beter: Films writen or direced by women con-sisenly eaure a higher percenage o emale characers wih speaking roles.
A stalled revolution
Te las decades o he 20h cenury brough considerable progress in women’s proes-sional advancemen in he Unied Saes. Te gender wage gap narrowed, sex segrega-ion in mos proessions grealy declined, and he percenage o women climbing he managemen ranks seadily rose. Alhough he rapid rae o change o he 1970s and 1980s began o slow in he 1990s and 2000s, as he narrowing o he gender wage gap salled
and he percenage o women in managemen jobs sagnaed,
a noable increase in women’s represenaion in very op posiions did coninue: • In 1980, here were no women in he op execuive ranks o he Forune 100; by 2001, 11 percen o hose corporae leaders were women.
• From 1997 o 2009, women’s share o board seas in S&P 1500 companies increased 7.2 percenage poins, or 94 percen, and heir share o op execuive posiions increased by 2.8 percenage poins, or 86 percen. Te share o companies wih emale CEOs increased more han six-old.
In recen years, however, he percenage o women in op managemen posiions and on corporae boards has salled.