Welcome to Scribd. Sign in or start your free trial to enjoy unlimited e-books, audiobooks & documents.Find out more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword or section
Like this
1Activity
P. 1
Food Security in U.S.2012

Food Security in U.S.2012

Ratings: (0)|Views: 0|Likes:
Published by Patricia Dillon
USDA err-155 updated Oct 2013
USDA err-155 updated Oct 2013

More info:

Categories:Types, Presentations
Published by: Patricia Dillon on Mar 10, 2014
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

06/25/2014

pdf

text

original

 
Economic Research ServiceEconomic Research Report Number 155September 2013
Household Food Security in the United States in 2012
Alisha Coleman-Jensen Mark Nord Anita Singh
United States Department of Agriculture
 
United States Department of Agriculture
Te U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and, where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA’s ARGE Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and DD). o file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (DD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Economic Research Service
www.ers.usda.gov
Visit our website for more information on this topic:
www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us.aspx
Access this report online:
www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err155.aspx
Download the charts contained in this report:
 Go to the report’s index page www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ err-economic-research-report/err155.aspx Click on the bulleted item “Download ERR155.zip Open the chart you want, then save it to your computer
Recommended citation format for this publication:
Coleman-Jensen, Alisha, Mark Nord, and Anita Singh.
Household Food Security in the United States in 2012,
 ERR-155, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, September 2013.
 
United States Department of Agriculture
Economic Research Service
Economic Research Report Number 155September 2013
Abstract
An estimated 85.5 percent of American households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2012, meaning that they had access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (14.5 percent) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 5.7 percent with very low food security—meaning that the food intake of one or more household members was reduced and their eating patterns were disrupted at times during the year because the household lacked money and other resources for food. The change in food insecurity overall (from 14.9 percent in 2011) was not statistically significant. The prevalence rate of very low food security was unchanged from 5.7 percent in 2011. Children were food-insecure in 10.0 percent of households with children in 2012, unchanged from 2011. In 2012, the typical food-secure household spent 26 percent more on food than the typical food-insecure household of the same size and household composition. Fifty-nine percent of all food-insecure households participated in one or more of the three largest Federal food and nutrition assistance programs during the month prior to the 2012 survey.Keywords: Food security, food insecurity, food spending, food pantry, soup kitchen, emergency kitchen, material well-being, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Food Stamp Program, National School Lunch Program, Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
About the Authors
Alisha Coleman-Jensen and Mark Nord are sociologists in the Food Assistance Branch, Food Economics Division, Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Anita Singh is chief of the SNAP Evaluation Branch, SNAP Research and Analysis Division, Office of Policy Support, Food and Nutrition Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Alisha Coleman-Jensen,
 
acjensen@ers.usda.gov
Mark Nord,
 
marknord@ers.usda.gov
Anita Singh
Household Food Security in the United States in 2012

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->