METBD 050 – MS Word Notes 1- S04.doc Page 3 of 6E. R. Evans, Jr. – 1/3/04
Special Keyboard Keys:
– deletes the character to the LEFT of the cursor.
– deletes the character to the RIGHT of the cursor.
– moves the cursor to the end of the line of text.
– moves the cursor to the beginning of the line of text.
move the cursor around the screen. This can be done by left clicking with the mouse.
– jumps the cursor incrementally along the line of text.
– captures everything that is displayed on the screen in memory. The image can be pastedinto the document by pressing Ctrl-V.
– captures the active window on the screen in memory. The image can be pasted into thedocument by pressing Ctrl-V.
– Cut. Removes whatever is selected from the active document. It can be pasted in any location.
– Copy. Copies whatever is selected from the active document. The original selection remains inplace and may be copied to another location using the Paste function.
– Paste. Places whatever is in the current memory into the active document.
Each page within a document can have its own page setup specified. Page setup refers to setting themargins for the sheet as well as the paper size, orientation, line numbers, headers and footers and borders.To access the dialog box for specifying margins, etc, select:
To Save a Document:
While you are working, it is a good idea to save your work often. In the event of a power failure or acomputer crash, all unsaved work is lost and cannot be recovered. To save, select
or use thesave button from the standard toolbar. A filename and location must be specified the first time a document issaved. Subsequent saves overwrites the previous versions. Documents are saved to some kind of storagemedia: a floppy disk, a memory stick, a CD, or to your space on the Behrend College server. Storing your information to the Behrend server (P:Drive) is the preferred method since it is backed up by the computer center each day.It is a good idea to create a file storage system on your storage media so that you will be able to quickly findthe saved data at a later time. You should create a folder for each of your courses on your P:Drive. Savethe data for this course in a folder called METBD 050. From the MS Word help:“
To make it easier to find documents, you can use long, descriptive file names. The complete path to the file, includingthe drive letter, server name, folder path, and file name and extension can contain up to 255 characters. File namescannot include any of the following characters: forward slash (/), backslash (\), greater than sign (>), less than sign (<),asterisk (*), question mark (?), quotation mark ("), pipe symbol (|), colon (:), or semicolon (;).”
LeftMarginRightMarginTopMarginHeader – Appears on eachpage of the documentFooter – Appears on eachpage of the documentBottomMarginPortraitOrientationLandscapeOrientation
Available Paper Sizes:
A-Size = Letter = 8.5” x 11”B-Size = 11” x 17”