They are planted in the house of the
; they ﬂourish in thecourts of our God.
– The same issues in verse 12 appear here. What does itmean that you are ﬂourishing when the Son of God died for you?Psalm 92:14Psalm 92:15
1.3 2 Corinthians 5:6-17
2 Corinthians 5:6
even though we know that while we are at home in the bodywe are away from the Lord
– The author asserts that there is a separationfrom God when one is in the body (
). On one level, we could speak of the division between the profane and the sacred. But that distinction wouldhave us ﬁnd places where God is not. This is an impossibility. Perhaps theauthor is referring to physicality being with God. This interpretation makesmore sense when you consider the idea that our journey throughout life isone of uncertainty.2 Corinthians 5:7
for we walk by faith, not by sight
– The path from one placeto another happens because we trust that the One is with us here and at theend.2 Corinthians 5:8
we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord.
– Given the choice between the current existence (
) and what ispossible, the author would rather have what might be.2 Corinthians 5:9
So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.
– Drawing on the imagery of the journey, the author reminds usthat our work is to please God and not one another.2 Corinthians 5:10
For all of us must appear before the judgement seat of Christ
– Each of us are responsible for our lives.2 Corinthians 5:11
we try to persuade others
– Since we know what will happen,it is only logical that we inform others about reality.2 Corinthians 5:12
We are not commending ourselves to you again
– Now Paulreturns to the issue of the other teachers.2