2 Corinthians 12:4
was caught up into Paradise
– This is one of the three uses of the word in the New Testament: here, Luke 23:43 and Revelation 2:7.
heard things that are not to be told
– One way to look at this phrase is thatit contains words of condemnation or doom. Another possibility is that thewords are spoken from one who loves the other very deeply.2 Corinthians 12:52 Corinthians 12:6
I will be speaking the truth
– Rather than acting like a foolwho does not know his right hand from his left, Paul asserts that he knowsexactly what happened.2 Corinthians 12:7
to keep me from being too elated
– God gave Paul a reminderof the human condition.
a messenger of Satan to torment me
– Is this the confuser that causes doubtsor is it the quality control engineer that ensures that everything is up tostandard?
a thorn was given to me in the ﬂesh
is the human, physical existence(Galatians 4:13; 2 Corinthians 12:7; Colossians 1:22; 2:1; 5.)2 Corinthians 12:8
– Here Paul argues that one does not pray aboutcertain items without ceasing.2 Corinthians 12:9
My grace is sufﬁcient for you, for power is made perfect inweakness.
– This is an accurate summary of the life of a Christian. Godprovides for the believer and through the actions of the believer, no matterhow poor they might be, the faith is passed on to others.2 Corinthians 12:10
1.4 Mark 6:1-13
Before this text we have:Healing of the Gerasene demoniac (Mark 5:1-20)Healing (resuscitation) of Jairus’ daughter (Mark 5:21-23, 35-43)Healing of the woman with the hemorrhage (Mark 5:24-34)2