Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Save to My Library
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Goodridge History

Goodridge History

Ratings: (0)|Views: 160 |Likes:
Published by shawfamilyhistory

More info:

Published by: shawfamilyhistory on Nov 23, 2009
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





Goodridge-Goodrich Family Story
Complied by Kate B. Carter Daughters of Utah PioneersEach Journal or diary recorded by the pioneers presents a clear andconcise story and adds to our storehouse of historical knowledge. Theyare heartwarming, faith-promoting accounts of individuals and familieswho made the trek West to build their homes in the valleys of themountains. Such accounts were recorded by the Goodridge family whosestories we are proud to present.
Benjamin Goodridge
, Utah Pioneer, was a son of Oliver and ElizabethHastings Goodridge of Lunenburg, Massachusetts, born October 3, 1794in Lunenburg. Benjamin married Penelope Randall Gardner on April 1,1823. She was born Dec. 27, 1783 [1793] a daughter of Abel andLusannah Bryant Gardner of Hopkinton, Mass. Penelope was a devoutmember of the Wesleyan Episcopal Methodist Church for over twentyyears. Her brother, George A. Gardner, was the first to bring the gospelmessage to them. The Goodridges joined the Churchand then came west in 1850 in thecompany led by Pres. WilfordWoodruff. Cholera visited thetraveling groups that season. Elevenmembers of their company died, butthe Goodridge family arrived safely inthe Valley Oct. 14, having been on theway 188 days. Penelope and four of her children, Harriet, Lusannah,Sarah, and Esther were baptizedSept. 2, 1849 by Elder Leonard W.Hardy. Benjamin and two children,Mary Jane and George A., werebaptized July 9, 1850 in the PlatteRiver by Wilford Woodruff while crossing the plains.On their arrival in the Valley they stayed at the Fort for a few days, later moving to Wilford Woodruff's lot. Benjamin traded his teams and wagonsfor a small house and lot in the 19th Ward, 330 North 3rd West, where helived until his death Dec. 1, 1859 in his 65th year.
Sophia, first member of the Goodridge family tobe baptized, kept a day by day record of the trip.
June 7, 1850 
. We started from Kanesville at1:00 p.m. for Bethlehem. Rode ten miles andcamped at Margaret’s Creek, a very beautifulshady spot. We heard the wolves howl in thenight for the first time. Our horses werefrightened.
.Saturday. Traveled sevenmiles, camped three miles from Bethlehem. Weenjoyed ourselves very much at the last twoplaces we camped. Had two violins in our ten.Had some music and dancing. Good feed for the cattle and good water.
.Went three miles, camped at Bethlehem, had a pleasant time, somemusic and dancing.18th.We traveled six miles today, camped at acreek, good feed and water. Our company was organized today. CaptainPetty was chosen Captain over a hundred. Captain Leonard W. Hardyover the first fifty. George Gardner, Captain over ten, our company. Allwell.
.Still in camp. Did our ironing. Picked some wild gooseberrieson the banks of the creek....
.Crossed the creek this morning.Passed five graves; they died the 15th of June. They all had grave tabletsmade of wood rudely hewn with the name engraved with a knife. A versewas written on the grave of Mr. Done, which was very touching. Crossedthree more creeks today without accident. Went ten miles and camped atWeeping Water Creek.
We traveled ten miles today. Passed threegraves, no names on them. Came up with a Government company. Oneman was sick with cholera, died, was buried in the forenoon. In theafternoon we passed three more graves, no names, died June 22. Oneof our company taken sick with cholera. Camped at Salt Creek.
.Sister Green died of cholera this morning. Brother Blazzard taken sick.Crossed the creek, went on to the bluff and camped for the night. The firstfifty caught up with us today. They are on the other side of the creek.One man with the cholera among them.
.We started about noon andtraveled six miles and camped on the open prairie without wood or water.Found water about one-half mile from camp. Passed the grave of a child.
.Our company all in good spirits this morning, and I feel grateful tomy Heavenly Father for his kindness in preserving our lives and healththus far, and that He has preserved us from accident and danger of every
kind. We traveled four miles and camped on the open prairie withoutwood or water, except that we brought with us. There is nothing to see butone endless sea of grass, waving and rolling like the waves of the sea,and now and then a tree. We had a very heavy thunderstorm thismorning.
. Jane Green died this morning of cholera, she was 18years old. Our first fifty came up with us this morning. They had buried aBro. Smith this morning. The rest of the camp all well. We went four miles and camped where we found wood and water. We killed arattlesnake. 
July 1st 
.Joseph Green died this morning of cholera, age 19 months,making three of one family that have died within five days. Came up withour first fifty, found Bro. Hall dead with cholera. Our camp felt afflictedand distressed. We felt like humbling ourselves before the Lord, and praythat He might turn from us the sickness and distress among us. Wetherefore met together, the speakers exhorting us to be diligent in our devotions and united. A vote was taken to that effect. They called uponthe Lord in prayer that he would bless and preserve us on our journey tothe Valley. We then started on our journey rejoicing. We met the mailfrom the Valley. Met Bro. Crosby and seven other brethren on their wayon a mission to England. We were very glad to see them. They broughtcheering news from the Valley, which caused us to rejoice. We traveledsix miles and camped on the prairie without wood, but found water.
.Very warm and pleasant, we traveled sixteen miles, all level prairie.
.We traveled about 15 miles. Camped on the Bluff on the north side of thePlatte River. Good wood and water. Our first fifty camped about a milefrom us. Samuel Hardy buried his youngest child this morning.
.Stopped to wash. Lucy Johnson was taken sick this afternoon and diedat 12 o'clock.
.Camped for the day. Sister Snow died this morning,making five that have died in our division.
.We traveled sixteen miles,camped on the Platte River, good camping ground. Our two companiestogether. All pretty well.
.Had a heavy thundershower last night. Thismorning cool and cloudy. Bro. Woodruff baptized twelve persons.Father, Mary Jane and George were among the number. We traveled thetwelve miles. Camped on the Platte River. Passed some bluffs, the roadvery sandy and crooked in some places.
.Cool and pleasant. Wetraveled fifteen miles, camped on the bank of the Platte River. Heavyshowers.
. Heavy showers, very warm and sultry. Sister Huntingtonof the first division died of a fever. The road very wet and hard to travel.We went ten miles and camped on the Platte. Bro. Hyde passed us on
his way to the valley.
.Had a heavy rain last night. The river rosetwo feet. One horse was drowned. Traveled about ten miles and campedon the open prairie. Had very heavy thundershowers. The cattle of thefirst division strayed away, but found them all again.
 Sunday.Camped for the day, both divisions camped in one corral. We held ameeting in the afternoon. Bros. Whipple, Hardy and Woodruff were thespeakers. We felt very much encouraged by what they said.
.Wetraveled seven miles, came to Ft. Childer, formerly Ft. Carney. Athundershower came up and Wm. Ridges was struck by lightning andinstantly killed. Three of his cattle were killed at the same time, and oneof his children injured but not seriously. A number of people felt theshock. We went two miles farther and camped.
. A child of Mrs.Barnes died of cholera this morning. The weather is clear and cool, it isvery muddy. We were delayed this morning. Traveled about eight miles,camped on prairie. Used buffalo chips for fuel.
.Went eighteenmiles and camped on Plum Creek. We passed a number of groves otrees. We saw some animals on the bluffs, probably buffalo. The weather fine, the roads good.
.This morning is clear and beautiful. Wetraveled sixteen miles and camped on the open prairie without wood or water.
.Traveled about fourteen miles. The weather cloudy. Bro.Emmet killed an antelope. It was distributed among his ten. We found itexcellent eating. We camped on the bank of the river, a beautiful place.The bluffs begin to look higher and more rough and more rugged.
.Sunday, so we did not travel today according to counsel. We heldmeetings in the forenoon and afternoon, and received some excellentinstructions that served to cheer us on our journey.
. We startedthis morning in good spirits. David Cook shot a sage hen. We saw someantelope and some wolves, did not kill any. We passed Bro. Woodruff'scompany about noon; they were camped on the Platte. Bro. Petty wassick, had buried one of his children the day before. We traveled about 16miles and camped on the banks of the Platte Rivera grand place to bathe.Bro. Woodruff's company caught up with us tonight.
. Traveledfourteen miles and camped near the Platte River. Bro. Emmet killed anantelope. We had a steak from it, very good. Bro. Woodruff's companycamped with us tonight.
.We traveled about eight miles andcamped. We passed near a number of herds of buffalo. Our divisionkilled one, and brought into camp. The first division killed two. The feedfor the cattle is growing shorter. We see quite a number of buffalo deadon the ground. We made a rule in our camp not to kill any more than weneed to eat.
.Cloudy. Saw two big white wolves and four antelope.
Passed a number of head of buffalo. Went about four miles and camped.Our wagon wheels are very musical. We had to stop and burn coal. Our men cut wood and started a coal pit. In the afternoon, part of our company remained at the last camping place on account of the excellenthunting. There was no wood there but cedars, which they thought wouldnot make as good coal as the willows. We found this last place grand for wood and water. It is situated on the South Fork of the Platte River.There is quite a large island covered with cottonwood trees, and excellentfeed for the cattle.
. Sunday-did not travel. Had a meeting in the forepart of the day. Had a heavy shower which we needed very much. Ittightened our wagon wheels and saved our men the trouble of taking off the tires and resetting them. Bro. Woodruff is sick today-worn out withfatigue and care.
.We traveled about ten miles when a stampedestarted in the first division. There were three wagons smashed. It wascaused by a runaway horse. Traveled about eighteen miles. The firstdivision stayed to fix up their cattle and wagons, a number of tongues andyokes of wagons were broken. Bro. Woodruff's beautiful buggy horse hadhis leg broken. The buffalo cows bellowed all night, and we expected theywould be down among us before morning, but fortunately they kept backamong the bluffs. Their bellowing sounded like distant thunder. Brother Leonard Hardy is quite sick with cholera.
.Took an early start thismorning. Traveled thirteen miles and came to the crossing of the SouthFork of the Platte River. Our wagons all crossed safely before dark.Camped on the bank of the river. It is about 1/4 of a mile wide.
 Aug. 1st 
.We ascended to the bluffs this morning and came upon anextensive plain or rolling prairie. Had some tremendous steep bluffs todescend. It seemed impossible for such heavily loaded teams to descendin safety, but we all reached Ash Hollow without an accident. We traveledeighteen miles and camped on the North Fork of the Platte.
.Wewashed today. Ash Hollow is a beautiful place. Bluffs on both sides of thehollow which appears to have been the bed of a river once, and opensonto the North Fork of the Platte which runs from the east and to the west.Bro. Woodruff's company joined us tonight with the exception of sixwagons which were left, two broken down and became too dark to comedown the steep hills. Bro. Hardy's health was poor, getting better slowlyof the cholera.
.Sunday. Had a meeting. Bro. Woodruff made aproposition that we stop with his ten baggage wagons, and let the rest of the first and second divisions or as many as wished to go ahead. He felthe had so much care on his shoulders. Bro. Whipple said that he would
take the burden of the ten baggage wagons on his shoulders. Bro.Gardner, the blacksmith, worked all day and had a number of men to helphim repair the wagons, but did not get all done.
.Bro. Hardy is better this morning and started out with sixteen of his division to go ahead. Bro.Green started out alone without counsel and out of order. Bro. Whipplestared with a part of his divisions and went four miles in search of feed for our cattle which was very short. Captain Hardy also camped with us for the day. The land on the north side of the river is prairie, while on thesouth side is high towering bluffs, which look like fortifications in manyplaces.
.Bro. Woodruff came up with us this morning. We had ameeting this afternoon. Had a new organization; Bros. Whipple, Gardner,Goodridge, and Rawson were transferred into Bro. Woodruff's division,making twenty-four wagons in that division and leaving twenty in Bro.Whipple's. Bro. Moffet was chosen Captain over the remainder.
.Very warm. Started out about eight o'clock this morning, the seconddivision taking the lead. We had a very hard road today, very sandy andsteep bluffs to climb. We traveled about twelve miles and camped near the Platte River. Feed rather short.
.Had very heavy showers lastnight, very sharp lightning and loud thunder. The wolves killed a calf belonging to Bro. Whipple. We traveled about fifteen miles and campedon the Platte.
.Sunday. We laid over. Held a meeting thisafternoon. We had a very excellent discourse by Bro. Whipple on thedifference between the Jews and the Gentiles. Bros. Woodruff andGardner gave us some excellent instructions. This evening we saw theprairie on fire. It was a grand and imposing scene.
.We started onour journey at four o'clock, all well. We passed a high bluff calledExchange, on account of its resemblance to a large building. PassedClear Creek, a small stream of very clear water. It comes from the bluffsand flows into the Platte. We traveled eighteen miles, had very goodroads. We met some Government trains from Ft. Laramie. They said thefirst division was about fifteen miles ahead of us.
.Started abouteight o'clock and traveled sixteen miles. Camped about three o'clock onthe Platte. A heavy rain came just before we stopped. We passedChimney Rock. This is a notable curiosity. It is 834 yards around thebase, and 200 feet high. The main shaft is 100 feet in diameter. Itappears to be formed of clay and sand of two colors, gray and white. Italso has the appearance of cement between the two columns. It issupposed by some to be work of the Nephites.
.It is a clear beautifulmorning. We made an early start and went about nineteen miles. Wesaw some Indians for the first time since we started. Their wigwams were

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->