One o the most popular ac-tivities on a college student’s bucket list is to study abroad at some point during their college career. It seems easy enough in theory, but too many students miss out on studying abroad because they didn’t spend enough time planning beorehand.“It’s good or students to come to the Study Abroad Ino Center during their reshman year, even i they aren’t planning on studying abroad until their junior or senior year, because the center can help ﬁgure out a good time period that would best ﬁt in with diﬀerent majors,” said Jackie Langdon, a senior rom Denver and a peer advisor at the Study Abroad Inorma-tion Center.Students planning on study-ing abroad should research their trip at least a year beore leaving. Te Oﬃce o Study Abroad can show students program options or nearly every major. “I ound my program through one o my proessors at the business school,” said Keertana Chary, a senior rom Wichita. “Afer he told me about it, a peer advisor came and talked to my class about it and the Study Abroad Oﬃce was able to give me even more inormation.” Te application deadline or Spring 2015, Winter Break 2015 and Spring Break 2015 is Oct. 1.“I made a last minute decision to study abroad, and the application process took me the longest,” said Bailey Goldstein, a senior rom Overland Park. “Tere’s a lot that goes into it, and you can’t expect to be able to do it all a week beore the deadline.”One reason students might not study abroad is because they aren’t proactively plan-ning or talking to advisors. “Students will miss out on going because they are still deciding whether they wanted to go, and won’t come into the oﬃce until they know they or sure want to, but by that point it’s ofen too late,” Langdon said. “Tey need to come into the oﬃce as soon as they even start to consider those possibilities, because they have less options the longer they wait to start planning.”Afer students decide where they want to study, the next step is planning the trip. “Make sure to set your budget, and budget in diﬀerent expenditures, including or emergencies,” Chary said.Students should meet with both a study abroad advisor and their academic advisor. Teir academic advisor will be able to help them ﬁnd scholarships within their own college or department and to decide when will be the best time or them to study abroad.“A lot o students are araid that studying abroad won’t allow them to graduate on time,” Langdon said, “but studies have shown that students are twice as likely to graduate on time i they study abroad, and are also more likely to get into a grad school o their choice and ﬁnd a job once they graduate.”Te Study Abroad Inorma-tion Center is open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
— Edited by Alex lamb
Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins met with the itle IX Roundtable Monday afer-noon to discuss the Campus Accountability and Saety Act, which addresses sexual assault on campuses. Te Campus Accountability and Saety Act ocuses on making universities and stu-dents accountable or sexual assault by increasing trans-parency, creating enorceable penalties and providing more support and resources to victims.Te University is currently under investigation by the U.S. Department o Educa-tion’s Oﬃce o Civil Rights, along with 71 other univer-sities, as part o a look into how sexual assault complaints are handled on campuses. Currently, the University is in compliance with all ederal sexual assault laws. Jenkins said that meeting with the Roundtable gave her “ideas or improving and things to look into.” She said she hopes that the bill will be voted on this all. Emma Halling, co-chair o the itle IX Roundtable and acting student body presi-dent, eels that the national attention is important or victims o sexual assault. “We’re talking about it a lot more now; it’s something we’ve known about or a while, but now it’s entering student language,” Halling said. Te Roundtable has discussed providing more resources to victims, like adding more sexual assault nurse examiners and a campus advocate or student victims. Halling said these additional resources are im-portant because they show solidarity. Angela Murphy, treasurer and development coordinator or the itle IX Roundtable, believes that a main obstacle or sexual assault policies is talking about it. “Tis conversation is a conversation that just doesn’t happen and as ar as I can tell … it doesn’t happen early enough,” Murphy said. Erin Barcomb-Peterson, director o news and media relations, said that the Uni- versity is very proactive in taking steps to make students and respondents eel sae on campus. Halling agreed and said that the University is ahead o the curve in addressing sexual assault, but does think that making the University and students more accountable would improve how sexual assault is handled. “In terms o campus saety we’re not bad, but where bad things happen is oﬀ-cam-pus,” Halling said. “But the repercussions don’t stop oﬀ-campus.” Murphy added that there were issues to address oﬀ campus as well, like better lighting on Iowa Street. “In Lawrence, I know I can’t walk home by mysel at night,” Murphy said.
— Edited by Rob Pyatt
Lecture: Adrian Goldsworthy
7:30 to 9 p.m.
Spooner Hall, The Commons
Learn about Caesar Augustus, the ﬁrst emperor of Rome, from a leading historian and biographer.
Graduate Student Night
4 to 6 p.m.
Spencer Museum of Art
Graduate students from all departments are welcome to meet at this social event.
Hawk Week: Find Your Identity
Noon to 3 p.m.
Spencer Museum of Art, fourth ﬂoor galleries
Explore the museum and make a lanyard for your KU ID card.
Hawk Week: Cash Carnival
11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Kansas Union, Lobby
The Student Money Manage-ment Services staff will provide a free credit report.
Guest lecture: Jonathan Katz
Kansas Union, Alderson Auditorium
Journalist and author of “The Big Truck That Went
How the World Came to Save Haiti and Left Behind a Disaster” will talk about the implications of the 2010 Haiti earthquake.
Concert: Tunes at Night
9 to 10:30 p.m.
Lied Center Pavilion
A free show to feature local Lawrence artists
Associate digital editors
Stephanie Bickel and Brent Burford
ADVERTISING MANAGEMENTAdvertising director
Digital media manager
NEWS SECTION EDITORSNews editor
Associate news editor
Arts & features editor
Associate sports editor
Special sections editor
Casey HutchinsSarah Kramer
Associate art director
Hallie WilsonClayton Rohlman
Associate multimedia editors
George Mullinix James Hoyt
ADVISERS Media director and content strategist
Sales and marketing adviser
TUESDAY, AUGUST 26, 2014PAGE 2
email@example.comNewsroom: (785) 766-1491Advertising: (785) 864-4358Twitter: @KansanNewsFacebook: facebook.com/thekansanThe University Daily Kansan is the student newspaper of the University of Kansas. The ﬁrst copy is paid through the student activity fee. Additional copies of The Kansan are 50 cents. Subscriptions can be purchased at the Kansan business ofﬁce, 2051A Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS, 66045. The University Daily Kansan (ISSN 0746-4967) is published daily during the school year except Friday, Saturday, Sunday, fall break, spring break and exams and weekly during the summer session excluding holidays. Annual subscriptions by mail are $250 plus tax. Send address changes to The University Daily Kansan, 2051A Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue.
KANSAN MEDIA PARTNERS
Check out KUJH-TV on Wow! of Kansas Channel 31 in Lawrence for more on what you’ve read in today’s Kansan and other news. Also see KUJH’s website at tv.ku.edu.KJHK is the student voice in radio. Whether it’s rock ‘n’ roll or reggae, sports or special events, KJHK 90.7 is for you.
2000 Dole Human Development Center 1000 Sunnyside Avenue Lawrence, Kan., 66045
THE UNIVERSITY DAILY KANSAN
Tuesday, Aug. 26 Wednesday, Aug. 27Thursday, Aug. 28 Friday, Aug. 29
HI: 96HI: 93HI: 86LO: 74LO: 71LO: 66
Partly cloudy with 10 percent chance of rain. Wind S at 9 mph.Thunderstorms with 40 percent chance of rain. Wind SSW at 9 mph.Thunderstorms with 50 percent chance of rain. Wind WNW at 8 mph.
HI: 95LO: 72
Mostly sunny with 20 percent chance of rain. Wind S at 10 mph.
KU Info Tables
10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Visit the Learning Studio for coffee and donuts and learn about services such as research and writing assistance.
4 to 6:30 p.m.
Courtyard between Eaton and Learned Halls
The School of Engineering invites freshmen to meet class-mates and compete in an Amazing Race-style competition. Food will be provided.
Jenkins, Title IX address sexual assaul
Emma Halling, co-chair of the Title IX Roundtable and acting student body president; Angela Murphy, treasurer and development coordinator; and Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins discuss the Campus Accountability and Safety Act on Monday.
Start early when planning study abroad trip