Students will demonstrate higher confidence and motivation doing mathematics byscoring on average of at least a point higher in the Likert scale administered at the startand end of the course.
Course Text & Materials:
Bello, Ignacio (2006). Basic College Mathematics, A Real-World Approach 2e; McGrawHill: ISBN 0-07-283104-9 (
ALEKS Access Code: ISBN 0073533440 (
A different way of learning math with ALEKS
ALEKS is a web-based assessment and learning math system that uses artificial intelligentprogramming to provide an individualized learning experience for every student. Theinstructional model of this course will mainly consist on students actively learning at their ownpace with the assistance of ALEKS, the online resources available in Blackboard, and the face-to-face classroom meetings.Students must take the initiative and responsibility to use all the available resources to activelylearn the course content. Instructional time will be spent less on listening class lectures andmore on
learning by doing and reflecting
.Taking into consideration
our diverse population of students and to ensure they are involved asmuch as possible in the learning process, this course will be based on a blended learningmodel. In a blended course, students complete the majority (60%) of the learning activitiesonline (i.e. Blackboard and ALEKS), and the other learning activities (40%) takes place in theface-to-face classroom. Here is what students should expect in this course:
: Class will meet
once a week
in the classroom (mathcenter), where students will complete learning activities led by the instructor. Studentswill complete a
in every face-to-face meeting that must be
onthe Internet. In addition, students must visit the math center during instructor’s officehours to take the course assessments (quizzes & final exam).
Asynchronous Online Meetings
: Students will login at least on two differentdays to the course shell in Blackboard and participate in the online discussions that areposted in the discussion board.
Computer assisted instruction
: A learning and assessment web-based system(i.e. ALEKS) is used to help students grasp and master the course content. ALEKS willassess students’ prior knowledge of the course content and create a visualrepresentation (i.e. pie chart) of what they know and need to learn. Based on thisassessment, students work on the topics they are ready to learn. Students receiveimmediate feedback for their performance and are continuously assessed to guaranteemastery and retention of the course content.
: Students complete the course content at their own pacebased on their prior knowledge of the math concepts and skills covered in the course,and with the guidance of a suggested timeline available in this syllabus. Students havethe opportunity to complete two courses in one academic term.
Online Learning Resources
: ALEKS provides detailed explanations anddemonstrations of the concepts and skills covered in the course. It also providessupplementary resources such as videos, animations, Power Point presentations, mathdictionary, and the course textbook (i.e. e-book). In addition, students have access inBlackboard of additional instructor-made resources (i.e. handouts, Power Points,screencasts, etc.) and math links to other Internet sites that provide tutorials, virtualmanipulatives, and multimedia materials.