Technical Report Documentation Page (Form 1700.7)
1. Report No.
2. Government Accession No. 3. Recipient's Catalog No.4. Title and Subtitle:
Guidelines for Use of Hydrogen Fuel in Commercial Vehicles
5. Report Date:
6. Performing Organization Code7. Author(s):
John M. Simon, CSP, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.Stephen Brady, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.Dana Lowell, M. J. Bradley & AssociatesMichael Quant, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
8. Performing Organization Report No.10. Work Unit No. (TRAIS)9. Performing Organization Name and Address:
Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.444 S. Flower Street, Suite 1850Los Angeles, California 90071
11. Contract or Grant No.
13. Type of Report and Period Covered
12. Sponsoring Agency Name and Address:
U.S. Department of TransportationFederal Motor Carrier Safety AdministrationTechnology Division (MC-RRT)1200 New Jersey Ave. SEWashington, DC 20590
14. Sponsoring Agency Code
15. Supplementary Notes:16. Abstract:
Over the next 50 years, hydrogen use is expected to grow dramatically as an automotive and electrical power sourcefuel. As hydrogen becomes commercially viable, the safety concerns associated with hydrogen systems, equipment,and operation are of concern to the commercial motor vehicle industry. This report is intended to provide guidelinesfor use of hydrogen fuel as an alternative fuel by a commercial vehicle fleet operator to ensure long-term safeoperation.
17. Key Words:
alternative fuel, APU, auxiliary power units, buses, commercial vehicles,compressed fuel cell, guidelines, hydrogen, hydrogen gas, hydrogen injectionsystem, hydrogen internal combustion engine, hydrogen safety, liquefiedhydrogen, motorcoaches, trucks
18. Distribution Statement
19. Security Classif. (of this report)
20. Security Classif. (of this page)
21. No. of Pages:
Form DOT F 1700.7
(8-72) Reproduction of completed page authorized.