HMS "Nemesis"WWII Campbeltown Anti-Submarine TrainingShip
Built by Cockerill's Hoboken shipyard in Belgium in 1923 for the Belgian State's Ostend toDover and Folkstone cross-channel ferry service as the 1,821 gross registered ton "
", the new 110.61 metre long, 12.95 metre beam ship, with a draft of 3.02metres, made her maiden voyage on June 16, 1923, from Ostend to Dover. The first of thecompany's ships to be so fitted, she was given 14,000 hp Parsons geared turbines driving twinscrews and, with a trial speed of 24.21 knots, was able to carry 1,400 passengers.
A note on spelling
- Belgium has three different national languages, 60% speakingFlemish/Dutch; 30% Walloon (French) and and 10% Eupisch (German) - Since theindependence of Belgium in 1830, there has been a row between the North (Flemish) and theSouth (Walloon) and every new ferry had to have a French or Flemish (Dutch) name. Thus thefollowing examples of spellings in
, Dutch and French -
- Koningen - Roi;
- Koningin - Reine;
- Prins - Pince and
- Prinses - Princess.In August 1926, the "
" was chosen to take the Belgian royal family toStockholm for the wedding of Prince Leopold and Astrid and then, too in 1926, from October30 to November 17, took the family to Gothenberg.On August 7, 1937, the ship collided with the 6,111 gross ton, 410-foot long "
"off Dunkirk, she launched from Ardrossan Dockyard on Thursday, December 1, 1921 andscrapped at Port Glasgow in May 1952.With the beginning of World War II, the "
" took fleeing refugees toFolkestone and, on September 17, was loaned to The Royal Navy for conversion into an Asdic Training ship, the ship initially renamed
" and, the work completed on1