(north-east), Serbia and Montenegro 476 km (south-west), Ukraine 362 km (north),Ukraine 169 km (east).
BRAN CASTLE (1377-1920)
The Bran fortress was built on a cliff between Magura and The Hill of the Fortress,its position conferring an outstanding view towards both the hills of Moeciu and theones from the Land of Bârsa. The building of the fortress was imposed by strategicand economic reasons. The strategic reasons underlined by the expansion of theOttoman Empire which, by the end of the XIV century, began threatening thesouth-eastern borders of Transylvania; the economic reasons, given by the factthat the commercial road, one of the most important access ways connectingTransylvania to Wallachia, crossed this area. All these reasons determined theHungarian king Louis I of Anjou to develop strengthening works of the Bran pass
BRAN CASTLE (1920-1947) - the royal residence
On December 1
1920, the people from Brasov – through the voice of their mayor,Mr. Karl Schnell – have given the castle as a present to the Romanian royal family,in whose possession the castle remained for the next twenty seven years.After becoming property of the royal family, between 1920 -1930 thecastle suffered a series of architectural renovations,aiming to transform it into a modernsummer residence. The renovationworks were lead by the Czecharchitect Karel Liman, who alsoworked at the castles Peles and Pelisor.Two towers for stairs were added, thebulwarks and the shooting gapsbecame windows, the stoves and thehearths became modern fireplaces.In order to make it inhabitable by the royal family, the Bran Castle wasequipped with all utilities compulsory in a genuine royal residence. The water wassupplied by the 57 meters fountain dug in the inner court of the castle. Theillumination of the castle was insured by a turbine power station, built by will of Queen Maria in May 1932, to which the communes Bran, Simon and Moeciu werealso connected, “poor and strictly Romanian communes, who wouldn’t have hadsuch an advantage in the near future”, as shown by a thanking letter sent toQueen Maria by the inhabitants of the three communes. The turbine –manufactured by the Voith Company – was brought into operation on August 29
,1932. A water power station of 85 hp was also built on Turcu River in December1932, to illuminate the castle and the surroundings.