List ssix barriers to Communication
barriers to effective communication is one of the problems faced by manyorganizationsA few barriers of effective communication are given below.1.
- One of the major barriers of communication is the physical barrier. Physical barriers includes large working areas that are physically separatedfrom others. Other distractions that could cause a physical barrier are theenvironment, background noise2.
- Inability to converse in a language that is known by both the sender and receiver is the greatest barrier to effective communication. When a person usesinappropriate words while conversing or writing, it could lead to misunderstanding between the sender and a receiver.3.
- Your emotions could be a barrier to communication if you areengrossed in your emotions for some reason. In such cases, you tend to have troublelistening to others or understanding the message conveyed to you. A few of theemotional interferences include hostility, anger, resentfulness and fear.4.
Lack of Subject Knowledge -
If a person who sends a message lacks subjectknowledge then he may not be able to convey his message clearly. The receiver couldmisunderstand his message, and this could lead to a barrier to effective ommunication.5.
- When a person is under immense stress, he may find it difficult tounderstand the message, leading to communication distortion.
6. Values, Attitudes and Opinions
- Pre-conceived notions : We judge people before they speak by allowing our opinions and ideas of them come in the way of trying to know what the speaker is saying.