Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
2Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Are Most Boating Accidents and Deaths Preventable?

Are Most Boating Accidents and Deaths Preventable?

Ratings: (0)|Views: 9 |Likes:
There are lots of iPhone and Blackberry apps, many entertaining and useful, but which are the ones you must have? To have First Aid and CPR instructional videos in the palm of your hand when an emergency situation arises could save a life. By taking control someone might really thank you.
There are lots of iPhone and Blackberry apps, many entertaining and useful, but which are the ones you must have? To have First Aid and CPR instructional videos in the palm of your hand when an emergency situation arises could save a life. By taking control someone might really thank you.

More info:

Published by: Redi-Medic Promotional First Aid Kits on Mar 20, 2010
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as ODT, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

06/07/2010

pdf

text

original

 
WATERCRAFT SAFETY COURSE REVIEW 1
Are Most Boating Accidents and DeathsPreventable?
In a world where so much seems random and out of our control,most boating-related injuries and deaths are actually withinour control. Prevention is the key to reducing the number of water-related injuries and deaths, and education is essential to prevention.
Water-safety is an area where the old adage is true, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” The U.S. Coast Guardfinds 70% of all boating accidents involve factors under thecontrol of the boat operator. In other words, the overwhelmingmajority of water-related accidents result from poor choices.For example, the choice to use alcohol while engaging in water-related recreation can be deadly. Alcohol is involved in nearlyhalf the water-related deaths among teens and adults.
According to the Coast Guard, approximately 70% of all boating fatalities arevictims of drowning; the other 30% of water-related deaths resultfrom trauma, hypothermia, carbon monoxide poisoning, or othercauses. Most of these deaths are almost completely avoidable.Drowning rarely occurs when boaters are wearing an appropriatepersonal flotation device (PFD); yet, astoundingly 90% of drowningvictims are not wearing a life jacket or any personal flotation deviceat all.
Education is the key to reducing both the number and severity of boating accidents. The Coast Guard determined 80% of theboating fatalities occurred on boats operated by people whohave never completed a boating safety course. Armed withthose statistics, the National Transportation Safety Board hasdeclared water-safety education a priority.

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->