Draft Model and Concept by Dana Jarvis
TFA LEADERSHIP ACADEMYDraft Model and ConceptTFA Mission and Approach
At Teach For America, we are working with a great sense of urgency to build the movement toeliminate educational inequity by enlisting our nation's most promising future leaders in theeffort. We recruit aggressively to attract outstanding recent college graduates of all majors andcareer interests to commit two years to teach in urban and rural public schools, and we investin the training and professional development necessary to ensure their success as teachers inour highest-poverty communities. Our teachers, also called corps members, go above andbeyond traditional expectations to lead their students to significant academic achievement,overcoming the challenges of poverty despite the current capacity of the school system.We cannot, however, expect teachers alone to compensate for all the weaknesses of thesystem. We believe our best hope for a lasting solution is to build a massive force of leadersinside and outside education who have the conviction and insight that come from teachingsuccessfully in low-income communities. We need such leadership working at every level of our school system, working outside the system to address the socioeconomic factors thatcontribute so significantly to the problem, and working in policy and the sectors such as journalism and business which influence policy. After our corps members complete their two-year commitments, we continue to foster their ongoing commitment to and leadership ineffecting the fundamental changes necessary to expand educational opportunity.
TFA CORE VALUESRelentless Pursuit of Results
– We assume personal responsibility for achieving ambitious,measureable results in the pursuit of our vision. We persevere in the face of challenges, seekresources to ensure the best outcomes, and work towards our goals with a sense of purposeand urgency.
Sense of Possibility
– We approach our work with optimism, think boldly, and greet newideas openly.
– We think critically and strategically in search of the best answers andapproaches, reflect on past experiences and data to draw lessons for the future, and makechoices that are deeply rooted in our mission.
Respect and Humility
– We value all who are engaged in this challenging work. We keep inmind the limitations of our own experiences and actively seek out diverse perspectives.
– We ensure alignment between our actions and our beliefs, engage in honest self-scrutiny, and do what’s right for the broader good.Source:www.teachforamerica.organd TFA Core Value document