T he ca. 45-acre area bordered north and south by Union and Lincoln Streets, and east and west by J efferson and Bolton Streets, is largely filled with modest- to stylish wood-frame houses typical of the period from the Civil War era through the early twentieth century. With the exception of three pre- 1850 farmhouses on Union and Hudson Streets, Most of the area's older houses are located in the southwestern part, on lower Highland, Jefferson, and Prospect Streets. T he side streets of the area's eastern section, developed between the late 1880's and 1910, comprise one of Marlborough center's handsome turn-of-the-century hill-top neighborhoods, where Brimsmead, T remont, Bicknell, and Short Streets, and Huntington and Estabrook Avenues march down the southern slope of Prospect Hill. Although there is considerable alteration throughout the area, in the western part, at least, there is a higher proportion of intact windows, doors, and clapboard siding than in other sections of Marlborough center.
As the industrial and commercial development of Marlborough center expanded in the latter part of the nineteenth century, residential neighborhoods spread northward into the hilly farm country along the pre-1800 Elm, Bolton, Hudson, Prospect, and Union Streets. Most of the land flanking Prospect Street and stretching northwest up Prospect Hill to Union and Elm Streets, was owned by members of the T ayntor family. One of their farmhouses, part of which was built in the early eighteenth century, still stands at 77 Hudson Street. (See Form #61.) After the Civil War, much of the T ayntor land was subdivided for houselots on the lower sections of Prospect and the new Highland and J efferson Streets, most of it by Hollis T ayntor (b. 1804), whose ca. 1870 houseis located at 120 Prospect Street. By 1871, the five houses on lower J efferson Street, along with seven on Highland and fourteen on Prospect, and 86 and 90 Brimsmead Street, had all been built. Houses were beginning to extend north along Bolton Street, as well. Brimsmead marked the southern edge of an 85-10t subdivision on land belonging to Charles F. Morse, which included three planned side streets on the top of Prospect Hill. (Except for the south side of Brimsmead, however, none of this section was actually developed until the mid- twentieth century.) Besides the T ayntors and Charles Morse, in about 1880, J.S. Howe, of 93 Prospect Street, laid out Bicknell and T remont Streets, and extended Short Street north to Brimsmead. (Cont.)
Hurd. History of Middlesex County. 1890. Marlborough directories and tax valuations. TheMarlborough Enterprise. 1891.
#76/78 is a large three-bay, 2 112-story side-gabled house with a large rear wing, and #77/79 is a south- facing, gable-end 2112-story building with two-story porches. Stephen Simmons also built a few houses on Highland Street for rent or resale. Among them, #84, built ca. 1889, is an early example of a side- gabled Queen Anne house with a large gabled dormer extending over an integral facade porch.
T he houses on Highland Street north of Fremont all post-date 1890. Some are still in the Queen Anne Style; both #103 and 134, for instance, are typical 1890's cross-gabled houses, with the slanted corner bay which was popular in several of Marlborough's neighborhoods during that decade. #128 retains its ornamented, two-story facade bay and turned-posted and frieze-screened corner porch, both popular 1890's features, and #157, the most northerly house on the street, augments its prominent corner location with a three-story square turret set into the angle of the house and wing.
Several houses at the north end of Highland as well as a few built on later lots on the southern section, date to the early twentiethcentury. Bungalows, both side- and end-gabled, of the 1920's appear at #122, 135, and 136. Hip-roofed duplexes were built at about the same time at #s 108, (ca. 1930), 144 and 149. An American Four-Square appears at #30, a D utch Colonial Revival house at #107, and a near-Prairie Style stucco house with overhanging roof and wide segmental arches at #55. A Colonial Revival cottage at #141 probably dates to the 1930's, as does the stuccoed cottage at #156.
J efferson Street. Lower J efferson Street, with all five houses seen there today, was in existence by 1871. #s 14 and 20, both gable-end houses with side wings, were apparently built by carpenter L.L. Walker, the partner of George Cate. Joseph Manning owned both the side-gabled, twin-ridge-chimney house at #6, and the long 1 lI2-story house at #23 with the unusual flared gambrel roof and later Queen Anne porch. On the later northwest end of the street along the railroad are the early 1890'stwo-story brick S.H. Howe Co. building and the one-story wood-frame gable-end Koehler Heel Plate Factory. (See Form #645). Across the street, stretching north to Fremont Street, is Kelleher Field, (Form #915) with its concrete and wood grandstand of 1939.
Bolton Street. #s 98 and 104 Bolton Street were both built about 1870. Although they present a 21/2- story gable-end to the street, neither has its entry in the end facade. T he better preserved is #104, which retains its large 2-over-2-sash windows and Italianate brackets at the cornice lines. T hese were followed by several Queen Anne gable-end houses built in the late 1880's and 1890's. #136 has a two- story, skirted polygonal bay on the facade, and #132, the most well-preserved of the group, has a sunburst-paneled and pattern-shingled pediment and a wraparound porch with bracketed turned posts, "half-turned" balusters, and a finialed turret at the comer. Early twentieth-century houses, now altered, including a D utch Colonial and two Craftsman Bungalows, flank the intersection of Brimsmead Street. Further north, a hip-roofed bungalow stands at 202 Bolton, and a Four-Square at #146.
Brimsmead Street. Although Brimsmead Street was laid out by 1871, the two gable-end houses at 90 and 86 stood alone there for many years. Although both are altered, #90 retains its main two-light, glass-and-panel door, which is typical of the years right after the Civil War. Six other houses on the south side, probably built in the 1890's, are all altered. #73, however, built on the north side of the street in the late 1930's, after the ball grounds were discontinued, is a fairly well-preserved Colonial Revival l L'z-story, symmetrical gable-end, with typical paired 6-over-l-sash, and a door with a fanlight at the top, sheltered by a broken-pedimented entry hood. (cont.)
Now bringing you back...
Does that email address look wrong? Try again with a different email.