Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
2Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
History of Perambra of Koyilandy Taluk

History of Perambra of Koyilandy Taluk

Ratings: (0)|Views: 624|Likes:
Published by rajanpk
Place history of Perambra Village in Koyilandy Taluk and other trivia about the nearby places.
Place history of Perambra Village in Koyilandy Taluk and other trivia about the nearby places.

More info:

Categories:Types, Research, History
Published by: rajanpk on Apr 01, 2010
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as TXT, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

04/01/2010

pdf

text

original

 
My Village-PERAMBRAMy native place is Thanniyode, which is in Perambra Village ,Perambra Desom. Thenearest centres are Chembra,Kulathuvayal,Chakkittapara and Thandorapra. Perambra Village was part of Payyormala Nad in the past. Payyormala was subject to the Nayars (Paleri, Avinhatt and Koothali) of Payyörmala. They were independent chieftains, with some theoretical dependence on the Kurumbrunad family and also on the Zamorin. The Nad was composed of the followingmodern amsams of Koyilandy Taluk, viz. :Paleri,Kayanna, Cheruvannür. Karayad, Meppayur. Iringath and Perambra.Agreements were, in February-March 1798 , entered into with the Koothali , Avinhat and Paleri Nayars of Payyörmala by the East India Company. The PayyormalaNayars having failed to pay their revenue, their district was taken under theCompany’s control and the management of that district was undertaken by theCompany in 1800.The people of Payyormala actively sympthised with the Pazhassi Raja
 
s fight forindependence.Excerpts from the history of Cheruvannur a nearby Village gives interesting information about this area. The area has a long history of human settlements. A hat stone (

) - megalithic burial monument - belongs to roughly a period of 300 B.C. to 500 A.D (Ganesh, K.M., 1990.) is seen in Edakkayil (

) as a proof. A cave (Innes. C.A, Evans. F.B.(Ed.), 1958) is also present in Moyiloth (

) near Muyippothbelongs to the same period, now lies under thick soil cover which was carelesslydeposited on it during the construction of irrigation canal passing there by, remains almost forgotten.Before British occupation, the place was included in Payyormala (

) a feudal principality controlled by three nair families namely Paleri (

), Avinhatt (

), and Koothali (

) and those acknowledged the suzerainty of Zamorin of Calicut (

 

) (Innes. C.A, Evans. F.B.(Ed.), 1958). Payyormala is a slightly elevated area near Edakkayil, from where the name of the principality evolved, now remains a place of less importance. Remnants of a small shrine of payyormala muthassi (

 

) the guardian angel of the principality, still seen here. Under British administration the area included in Kurumbranad taluk, Malabar district of Madras presidency (Innes. C.A, Evans. F.B.(Ed.),1958). At present it find its place in Perambra development block and in Koyilandi taluk, Kozhikode district of Kerala state. The people from the region has a rich tradition of participation in various important historical events, among them Pazhassi revolts (

 

) against the rule of British East India Company took place between 1796 to 1805 and Koothali strike (

 

) took place in the period of 1940 -1950 are most notable. Many of freedom fighters who participated in mainstream freedom struggle, and two people who joined in I.N.A and fought against the British were from this area.The antiquity of civilisation in this area is revealed by two umbrella stones(OrHat stones) still preserved at pampirikunnu and Pythoth which are within 10 kmradius from Thanniyode. Kodakkallus(umbrella stones ) are mentioned by Sewell and Logan in their works.They are deemed to represent the great megalithic civilization in the different
 
parts of Kerala. The kodakkallus are sparsely located in different parts of Kerala. The ones in Quilandy Taluk represented by the Paithoth Kodakkallus and Pambirikunnu kodakkallu are deemed to be made by about 1500 BC. The presence of the iron implements within the Kodakkallus shows that they were made after iron cameinto use and therefore they represent an advance stage in human development. A typical umbrella stone stands like a giant Mushroom in the Kodakuthi compound owned by Sri Kodakuthiyil Rajan nair of Pambirikunnu in Cheruvannur Panchayath. Theterm Kodakuthiyil is indicative of the presence of the umbrella stone. Koda means umbrella. There are scholars who believe that Koda pertains to the funeral offerings; according to them the term is derived from Kodukkal (offering) or Kodu(again, offering) in Malayalam and Tamil languages. They argue that the shape ofthe stone is that of a mushroom and not that of an umbrella and therefore identifying the Kodakkallu with an umbrella is untenable. As the scholars generally agree that the Kodakkallus were post burial tombs during the megalithic period, the argument on the shape and etymology of the tomb is not solicited. However, this is not to deny the right to argue. For the people, the tombs have always beenumbrella-like although resemblance to mushroom cannot be ruled out categorically.Sri P.C.Mohanan records the following in his family history: Parachottil and the neighboring areas were part of the ‘Payyor Mala’ ruled by somewhat independent Nair feudal lords during the medieval period. There is no doubt that the land had been populated since ancient times as seen from the burial pots discovered here and there, and the Kotthiya para with its carved steps and the inscriptions. It was on the route of the pilgrims who visited the holy shrines in the Wynad forests like Tirunelli.The area got depopulated during the military campaigns of Haider Ali and his son Tippu and for the next hundred years no one came to live there. It was insuch circumstances that Niravat Shankara Marar bough lands settled the area with his wife and children and other extended families towards the turn of the 20th century. They all came from Meppayyur and before that from Iruvazhi Nadu nearmodern day Mahe. He was the caretaker of the estate of some of the naduvazhis and amassed sizable lands.The region then was inhabited with wild animals including tigers. Parachottil was so called because it was virtually below the great rock formation of ‘Valarunda Para. The house was built in a very simple way with very little ostentation, one reason being that the Valarunda para was associated with some divinityand the house was not supposed to be taller. Originally the house was slightlyto the north of the present house and was thatched. Later on it was built in its present location. Smt Parvathi Marasiar was aformidable matriarch who was in-charge of the house with her five daughters andone son. The entire neighborhood came to be occupied by her cousins nephews as also the workers most of whom settled down to work in the fields. Thus the area became a marar enclave in due course as most of them survived on landed property. Over the years families spilt but even then most of them were never far away. The house continues to be a centre point with very little modifications on the original structure.Kulathuvayal (in Malayalam :

)is a village in Kozhikode district of Kerala state, India. Administratively, Kulathuvayal comes under the Chakkittapara panchayat, Perambra block panchayat and Koyilandy Taluk.ClimateIt has a generally humid climate with a very hot season extending from March to
 
May. The rainy season is during the South West Monsoon, which sets in the firstweek of June and extends up to September. The North East Monsoon extends from the second half of October through November. The average annual rainfall is 3266 mm. The best weather is found in towards the end of the year, in December and January — the skies are clear, and the air is crisp. The highest temperature recorded was 39.4 °C in March 1975. The lowest was 14 °C recorded on 26 December 1975.[1]The St. George
 
s Forane Church, Kulathuvayal records the history of the area asfollows: St. George
 
s Forane Church KulathuvayalDuring the large-scale migration in 1920
 
s and 30
 
s from central Travancore, thewhole of Malabar was under the Latin diocese of Kozhikkode. The administratorsof the diocese paid special attention to the spiritual needs of the new settlersand gave them all the necessary help. The nearest Catholic Church in those dayswas at Vadakara. As new Christian settlements were established, the missionaries of Kozhikkode diocese started paying attention to the needs of the community.The first among those who came to Kulathuvayal had been Rev. Fr. Siaro, Rev. Fr.Rebello, and Rev. Fr. Joseph Peediekkal. It was Rev. Fr. Siaro who celebrated the first holy mass at Kulathuvayal. That had been in the house of Mathur Cherian, one of the earliest settlers of the area.The bishop of Kozhikkode, Rt. Rev. Dr. Leo Presarpio SJ, understood the problemsof the settlers and did everything to help them. In 1941, he authorized Rev. Fr. Joseph Peediekkal, the vicar of Vadakara church, to manage the spiritual needsof the people of Kulathuvayal, Maruthonkara and Padathukadavu, which were partof the Kuttiady settlement area.The Catholics of these places can never forget the great services rendered by Rev Fr Peediekkal who carried out the new responsibility with sincerity and devotion. Every Sunday he celebrated the holy mass for the settler community at Kulathuvayal, in the house of Chacko Njallimakkal. That was how the spiritual life ofthe area, which had been kindled by Rev. Fr. Siaro, got rejuvenated in subsequent years.Fulfillment of the DreamsThe church named after St. George was established as early as 1941 under the initiative of Rev. Fr. Peediekkal. Janab Moythu Sahib donated 10 acres of prime land at Kulathuvayal hill top for the new church. The thatched shed for the new church was constructed in no time under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Peediekkal, Rev.Fr. Mathew Kappukattil, and Rev. Fr. John Makkil. It was a modest attempt by the settlers who had been weakened by malampani. Taking a contribution of 25 paiseeach during prayer meetings had accumulated the necessary money. The cemetery was also established near the church by Rev. Fr. Peediekkal in 1941.In 1943 the church building was reconstructed. It was a strong edifice built ongranite pillars and was given a tiled roof. The new building was constructed literally on the strength of the gold ornaments of about 25 families. They were mostly the humble offerings of the poor mothers who were struggling in the midst ofdangerous fevers and acute scarcity. Very soon Rt. Rev. Dr. Presarpio appointedRev. Fr. DeCosta to assist Rev. Fr. Peediekkal. He used to come to Kulathuvayalon Saturday, say the mass on Sunday and then return to Kozhikode. On 28 January1944, the bishop came to Padathukadavu and then to Kulathuvayal through Palery.One result of this journey was that the road to Kulathuvayal from Padathukadavubecame a reality after the visit. The road was the result of the hard work of all the people of the area who toiled hard day and night, forgetting all the differences of religion, caste and class. The work was led by Janab Moythu who contributed food for the workers and two petromax lamps. Utilizing the 6000 Rupees hecontributed, a new car was bought from Coimbatore by late Prof. K. M. Chandy (f

Activity (2)

You've already reviewed this. Edit your review.
1 thousand reads
1 hundred reads

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->