Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1


Ratings: (0)|Views: 352|Likes:
Published by ajls24

More info:

Published by: ajls24 on May 09, 2010
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





A stroke is a term used to describe neurologic changes caused by an interruptionin the blood supply to a part of the brain. A stroke is caused by the interruption of the blood supply to the brain, usually because a blood vessel bursts or is blocked by a clot.This cuts off the supply of oxygen and nutrients, causing damage to the brain tissue.The most common symptom of a stroke is sudden weakness or numbness of theface, arm or leg, most often on one side of the body. Other symptoms include: confusion,difficulty speaking or understanding speech; difficulty seeing with one or both eyes;difficulty walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination; severe headache with noknown cause; fainting or unconsciousness. The effects of a stroke depend on which partof the brain is injured and how severely it is affected. A very severe stroke can causesudden death. The two major types of stroke are ischemic and hemorrhagic. Ischemicstroke is caused by a thrombotic or embolic blockage of blood flow to the brain. Bleedinginto the brain tissue or the subarachnoid space causes a hemorrhagic stroke. Ischemicstrokes account for approximately 83% of all strokes. The remaining 17% of strokes arehemorrhagic.Cerebrovascular disorders are the third leading cause of death in the United Statesand account for approximately 150,000 mortalities annually. An estimated 550,000 people around the world experience a stroke each year. Stroke is both the leading causeof adult disability and the primary diagnosis for long term care. In the UK, it is thesecond most common cause of death, the first beingheart attacksand third beingcancer . It is the number two cause of death worldwide and may soon become the leading cause of 
death worldwide. Stroke is also the second leading cause of death in the Philippines witha total of 51,680 according to DOH(site reference).Along with this are 37, 092 whosurvived with it. There are millions of stroke survivors living with varying degree of disability in the world. Along with a high mortality rate, strokes produce significantmorbidity in people who survive them. Of the stroke survivors, 31% require assistancewith self care, 20% require assistance with ambulating, 71% have some impairment invocational ability up to 7 years following the stroke, and 16% are institutionalized.We decided to use this as a subject for our case study because as what we allknow this kind of illness is said to be a silent killer if prompt medical attention is unmet.That is why we want to know the root cause of such disease in order for us to know howwe could intervene and play our role as a nurse. We believe that by studying this case wewill gain more information and knowledge about the disease and will lead us to a certain perception as to how we will manage and care if ever we will experience again patientswith the same disease.should be all about study
General Objectives
:To conduct a thorough and comprehensive study about Mr. Ek’s diseaseaccording to data that was gathered by conducting a series of interviews and through theuse of data gathered from extensive research.
Specific Objectives:
To organize our patient’s data for the establishment of good background information
To show the family health history as well as the history of past and present illness for theknowledge of what could be the predisposing factors that might contribute to the patient’sillness
To present the Family’ Genogram containing information that will help out in tracinghereditary risk factors
To trace the psychological development of our patient through analysis of differentdevelopmental theories with comparison to the patient’s data
To give different definitions of the complete diagnosis of our patient for better understanding of unfamiliar terms
To present the data from the Physical assessment performed on our patient for a goodinterview of his over-all health
To elaborate on the anatomy and physiology of different organs involved and affectedduring CVA
To establish whether several factors, signs and symptoms are present or absent in our  patient

Activity (29)

You've already reviewed this. Edit your review.
1 thousand reads
1 hundred reads
merel liked this
Sarah Gaile Inac liked this
Rellie Braceros liked this
blueme09 liked this
Reychelle Cheche liked this

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->