Magic: The Gathering glossary
- The stakes gambled on the match. Typically thisis one card taken from the top of each deck before thegames begins.
- a magically powered object; also one of thebasic spell types. Mages who build Artifacts are called Articers.
- A list of cards banned during ofcial tourna-ments.
– Plains (white), Islands (blue), Mountains(red), Forests (green), and Swamps (black).
- The multiverse where Magic: The Gatheringtakes place.
- One of the basic spell types. Enchantments arepermanent until destroyed (or the card they are enchantingis destroyed). Only cast during the Main phase of a turn.
- A limited edition run of Magic cards(typically 90 to 310), printed with a black border.
- A creature with rst strike will not take anydamage if the creature they are ghting takes a lethalamount of damage during the exchange. Two rst strikecreatures are considered to attack each other simultaneously.
– Attacks by ying creatures can’t be blocked bynon-ying creatures.
- Where cards go when killed, used, discarded,or removed from play. Some cards will allow you to later bring cards back from the Graveyard. Any player may, atany time, look through anyone’s graveyard.
- One of the basic spell types, it can be cast atany time. Also, the only way a fast effect may becountered.
- Land is a special card type, which may only beplayed during your main phase, and only once per turn.There are basic lands and more exotic, special lands.
- A term for magical energy, used to cast spells andcause special effects. The most common source of Manais tapping lands.
- Damage taken from unspent mana at theend of any phase or attack. Each point of unspent manacauses one point of damage. This damage is consideredcolorless.
- The amount of mana you have available atany given time.
- any card that remains in play after beingused, such as Lands, Artifacts, Enchantments, and Crea-tures.
- Some creatures will poison a player during battle.When any player has 10 (or more) poison counters, theylose the game.
- Creatures on the way to the Graveyardmay be regenerated under special circumstances. Theyreturn to play with their enchantments intact. Creaturesbecome tapped when regenerated.
- One of the basic spell types. They take effectimmediately after being cast, but can only be cast duringyour Main phase.
- There are six basic spell types: Artifact, Enchant,Instant, Interrupt, Sorcery, and. Summon.