Technical Report Documentation Page1. Report No.
2. Government Accession No. 3. Recipient’s Catalog No.4. Title and Subtitle
Design Guide for Highway Noise Barriers
5. Report Date
May 2002 Revised November 2003
6. Performing Organization Code7. Author(s) 8. Performing Organization Report No.
Richard E. Klingner, Michael T. McNerney, andIlene Busch-Vishniac
Research Report 0-1471-4
9. Performing Organization Name and Address 10. Work Unit No. (TRAIS)
Center for Transportation ResearchThe University of Texas at Austin3208 Red River, Suite 200Austin, TX 78705-2650
11. Contract or Grant No.
Research Project 0-1471
12. Sponsoring Agency Name and Address
Texas Department of TransportationResearch and Technology Implementation OfficeP.O. Box 5080
13. Type of Report and Period Covered
Research ReportAustin, TX 78763-5080
14. Sponsoring Agency Code15. Supplementary NotesProject conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway Administration, and theTexas Department of Transportation.16. AbstractThe current TxDOT design process for highway noise barriers is reviewed. Design requirements for highway noise barriers arethen presented. These include acoustical requirements, structural requirements, safety requirements, aesthetic requirements, andcost considerations. Examples are given of different highway noise barriers used in Texas. Sample plans and specifications are presented. Design requirements are broadly grouped into acoustical requirements, environmental requirements, traffic safetyrequirements, and structural requirements; those requirements are again presented, drawing on the material presented in the preceding chapters.17. Key Words
acoustics, aesthetics, design, noise barriers
18. Distribution Statement
No restrictions. This document is available to the public throughthe National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Virginia22161.
19. Security Classif. (of report)
20. Security Classif. (of this page)
21. No. of pages
22. PriceForm DOT F 1700.7 (8-72) Reproduction of completed page authorized