GRADE ONE CURRICULUM, 1
Semester, June to October(Based on the Basic Education Curriculum)
1. Respond to greetingsand leave-taking2. Identify speech sounds,e.g. [f] vs. [v], [i] vs.[I]3. Identify words thatrhyme4. Recognize rising andfalling intonation andthe meanings theysignal5. Give the main idea of aselection heard6. Note details in aselection heard7. Retell a story8. Act out parts of a story9. React to the story or what a character saidin the story10. Infer feelings or traitsof characters in a storyheard
1. Ask and answer basicquestions about personal information2. Give short commandsand directions3. Talk about meanings of sound signals (e.g.rooster crowing, horn blowing, bell ringing,etc.)4. Recite rhymes withcorrect intonation andstress5. Talk about oneself,others, or things usingthis/that, these/those,a/an, singular/plural6. Use personal pronouns7. Use he/she, his/hers,him/her correctly8. Use the simple presentthird-person form of verbs9. Use the -ing form of verb to answer questions, e.g.,
What are you doing?
10. Use the verb "to be"with nouns and pronouns as subject11. Use the simple pastform of regular verbs12. Use words thatdescribe persons,animals, places13. Talk about topics of interest
1. Read DOLCH sightwords2. Handle readingmaterials properly3. Sharpen visualdiscrimination skills(similarities,differences, missing parts)4. Associate pictures of objects with their written names5. Increase one'svocabulary aboutfamily members,labels and signs,synonyms andantonyms6. Identify the parts of a book 7. Tell what the story isabout by looking at the pictures8. Tell the sequence of natural events, e.g. plant growth, animallife cycle9. Describe relationships:source (egg is fromchicken), function(chair is for sitting), part (eyes are in theface)10. Predict outcomes11. Infer what happened before an event
1. Write letters inmanuscript2. Copy words and phrases: personal info,DOLCH basic sightwords, and days of theweek 3. Copy 2-3 sentence paragraphs withcorrect punctuation4. Write words, phrases,and sentences fromdictation5. Write names of objects6. Write sentences usingsynonyms andantonyms7. Write sentences aboutone's self and family8. Compose greetings incards