200 Hazel St.
Rudy, Inc. was founded in 1904 by Samuel James Rudy to provide local farmers with a place to market their crops, and a place to purchase feed and farm supplies. The business has been located at the Hazel St. address for all of its 106 years in Covington.
Today, Rudy, Inc. operates as a complete grain elevator, offering several grain merchandising and grain marketing tools and services. With two locations (there is also a Rudy, Inc. in West Milton), the elevator offers a storage capacity of 1.4 million bushels.
Robert Rudy reports that several upgrades and plant improvements have been made at Rudy, Inc. in the past two years. “We’ve phased out of the retail feed and farm supply business,” he says. “We not concentrate solely on grain.”
Adams Greenhouse & Produce, started in 2008, is a family-owned business based on the belief that customers’ needs are of the utmost importance. Owners Kenny and Connie Adams are assisted by their children and grandchildren in the running of the business. Much of their business comes through repeat customers and referrals. Connie Adams offers landscape consulting and can show you how to make your flower gardens look their very best.
Friendship Community Church had its beginning in the heart of Covington as a group of 50-plus believers gathered together in 1954 to start a Brethren Church. Brother Charles Gantt, with assistance from Rev. Arthur Carey, gave leader- ship to this fledgling body of believers. They met for worship each Sunday at the Covington Taber- nacle, located at the corner of Spring and Pearl Sts. The Grace Brethren Church of Covington was officially accepted into the National Fellowship of Grace Brethren Churches in 1957 with assis- tance from the Southern Ohio District Missions Board. A Sunday School addition was built in 1959 when True Hunt was pastor. After 20 years in Covington, the congregation purchased land in 1978 for a new church to be located two miles east of Covington on Rt. 41. With this relocation, the door was open for a new home for the Coving- ton Library. During 1976-1999, Randy Maycomer, Don Staley, and Larry Richeson gave leadership within the church. In 1998, The Troy Grace Church closed its doors and its members have become an intricate part of this church family. Forrest Jackson, pastor since 2000, cordially invites you to come and worship with them.
The congregation worshipped in this church structure prior to 1976, at which time the building underwent remodeling.
Land was purchased in 1978 on St. Rt. 41 for construction of the new Friend- ship Community Church, which was completed in spring of 2001.
In 1946, Rev. Francis Pilliod took a census of Catholic families in the Covington/Pleasant Hill area. As a result of that census, the Most Rev. John T. McNicholas, Archbishop of Cincinnati, authorized Rev. Robert Von Kaenel, pastor of St. Marys Parish, to select a site and oversee the building of a mis- sion church in Covington.
On December 25, 1950, the Christmas Midnight Mass was the first Mass offered in the new parish of St. Teresa of the Infant Jesus. At that time, there were 45 Catholic families in the Covington/Pleasant Hill area.
Currently, the parish is comprised of 150 families from the surrounding area. The church and parish grounds have gone through several renovations over the years. The interior of the church was remod- eled in 2006 and the sports complex began to take shape. Today, the sports complex has a newly-con- structed shelter house, two volleyball courts, a softball/baseball diamond, and a soccer field.
The Covington Rescue Squad, Inc. is a 501C3 non-profit organization that provides emer- gency medical services to the residents of the village of Covington and the surrounding area of Newberry Township, along with anyone passing through the area in need of emergency medi- cal treatment. The squad serves approximately 5,000 people in an approximate 25 square mile area. In addition, their units and personnel respond mutual aid (when requested) for Bradford, Pleasant Hill, Versailles, Troy and Piqua. The squad prides itself on being able to run on dona- tions (both private and corporate), grants, and the ability to be a “soft billing” company.
The Covington Rescue Squad was started in 1976 as part of the Covington Special Fire Department. In the early years, a handful of EMTs averaged about 100 calls for service per year. Now, 21 EMTs answer between 575 and 600 calls yearly.
The current officers include Mike Marion, chief; Shawn Ray, assistant chief; Don Knapp, lieutenant; Chad Angle, lieutenant; Britton Angle, lieutenant; Brad Weer, trustee; and Jim Drieling, trustee. Also serving are Carly Weishaar, Jon Frock, Nick Meyer, Elizabeth Healy, Olivia Schaefer, Dana Schilling, Sharon Shoenleben, Tina Adkins, Tracy Kerns, Adam Grubb, Sam Hord, Bill Hogston, Larry Picklesimer and Niki Zeigler.
Doug’s Lawnmowers opened for business in April of 1986, and has been at this same location for the past 24 years. The business is operated by Doug, Gary, and Sarah Burns. All three have the expertise to assist cus- tomers with all their lawn and gar- den equipment purchases and the servicing of that equipment. First
offering only a repair service, in 1987 Doug’s Lawnmowers started marketing Toro mowers and Jonsered saws. In 1992, a 3,000 sq. ft. building was constructed. In 2001, a line of Dixon mowers was added to their inventory, as well as Echo hand- held equipment in 2002. A 3,000 sq. ft. warehouse was added in 2005, and Stihl hand-held equipment was offered in 2006. Future plans include the addition of 1,000 sq. ft. showroom and paving of the parking lot. “Our focus is to offer quick, dependable service with quality equipment to fit any budget,” says Doug Burns. “By servicing only the riding and hand- held brands we sell, our repair turn-around times are much quicker than most other shops.
Koverman Dickerson Insurance can
trace its roots back to 1875. Owned
by Joe Dickerson and Bob
Koverman, the agency represents
nine financially strong insurance
companies. Just within the past
year the agency has expanded to
include a branch in Covington, as
they recognized a need in this com-
munity for the services they pro-
vide. The new branch is operated by
Covington’s own Glen Hollopeter.
For all your insurance needs,
whether it be for home, auto, farm,
commercial, business, or life,
Koverman Dickerson Insurance has
a plan perfectly suited to your
Fridays - Prime Rib, BBQ Ribs & Steaks
Saturdays - Fried Chicken & Steaks
Sundays - 45¢ Wings
A long term care pharmacy servicing over 20,000
residents in nursing homes, assisted living facilities,
Hospice, and MRDD locations in Ohio, Michigan,
Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia, and Maryland.
Remedi SeniorCare started as a retail store, Burk’s Pharmacy, in downtown Covington in 1938. The pharmacy was sold in 1965 and renamed Shanley’s Pharmacy. The focus of the business changed to long term care in 1982 as the name changed to HealthCare Pharmacy. In 2008, HealthCare Pharmacy sold to Remedi SeniorCare and currently employs over 190 teammates at the Covington location.
Remedi SeniorCare Pharmacy congratulates
Covington on its 175th Anniversary!
We are pleased to be a part of our community.
Sellman’s originated in Piqua in 1932 as a Maytag appliance store. Reuben Sellman had been a district manager for the Maytag Company for 10 years. During this time, Maytag relocated Reuben and his young family six times. His wife Grace had enough of the relocating, and urged Reuben to go into business for himself. Thus, the Sellman May- tag Appliance Store was born in Piqua, Ohio. In 1938, a group of Covington businessmen approached Reuben about moving to downtown Covington to fill a vacant building at 23 N. High St. They offered him the property at signifi- cantly below market value and he moved. An early tax incentive, if you will. So, Sellman’s in beautiful downtown Covington held a Grand Opening Sale May 14, 1938, and the rest, as they say, is history! Sellman’s has always been a family-run business. George Sellman, Reuben and Grace’s son, took over running the store in the late 1940’s fol- lowing his graduation from high school and marriage to Evelyn Wehneman. George’s two sisters, Marjorie and Mari- lyn, also worked in the store. Over the years, their husbands, Bob Paff and Jack Snider, also joined the business. In the early 1950’s, George added wall-to-wall carpeting, a relatively new concept during the building boom after World War II, to Sellman’s offerings. It was hugely successful, and set the stage for bigger and better times to come. During the 1950’s, George was a member of the Mohawk Carpet Company’s dealer council. He had major input on carpet fashion colors as well as new styles. Through the years, our location expanded with the growing busi- ness. We expanded west through the entire block, added the old Miller building on High St., that had been the Cov- ington pool hall for years, and took over the Cove Theatre building to house the latest trend, an Early American Shoppe. In the late 1970’s, Bob Sellman, George’s son, won the Cincinnati Enquirer’s contest to predict when Pete Rose would hit his record-breaking 3,000 hit. Bob, an avid sports fan, predicted the date, the game, the inning, the time of day, and as a tie breaker, the score of the game to win this contest. As a result of Bob’s acquaintance and friendship with Pete Rose, Pete came to Covington to sign autographs for his many local fans. It was an exciting day in “Sellmanville!” Over the years, Sellman’s has employed a terrific group of local citizens. Current local residents employed at Sellman’s include Fred Davis, John Hackett, Wayne Hensler, and Candace Tobias. In 2003, Sellman’s took on an extensive remodeling project to open a Broyhill Showcase Gallery. This major project once gain renewed and re-established Sellman’s as the area’s leading home furnishings retailer. Sellman’s has always carried quality brands at affordable prices, and continues to offer a wide assortment of the latest styles. Today, Jane Sellman, George’s daughter, manages the store. She continues the tradition of offering fine furniture for every taste and budget.
Cloud Nine Creations is a unique business that opened late in 2009, offering stained glass and mosaic art, custom stained glass orders of any size, stained glass panels and lamp repair.
Special order jewelry is also available, along with the works of various local artists, including CD clocks, handbags, candles, pottery, Woodcutter, garden stones, and a wide variety of jewelry (Swarovski crystals, healing gem- stones and turquoise).
February, 2009, she began attending arts shows and craft festivals selling her work. After showing and selling her work at 24 art shows in 2009, Lisa decided it was time to open a store front here in Covington. Lisa’s son, Rick, and his girlfriend, Jordan, decided to join her late last summer and began learning the art of stained glass. The three concentrate on custom orders and Victorian era reproductions. They enjoy creating each piece to customer’s specifications.
In addition to stained glass artists, the shop also features a variety of other local artists and is always looking for new artists to add to the collection of fine art. Artists interested in displaying their work in Cloud Nine Creations can call for additional information, or stop by the shop with a sample of work. Shop hours are Tuesday thru Thursday, 11:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., Friday 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., or by appointment.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?