I. Match the following phrases with the correct definitions.
1. black and blue
a. in very good health
2. out of the blue
b. never doing anything wrong
3. once in a blue moon
c. completely unexpected
4. the Yellow Pages
d. a large, yellow book which contains the
addresses and telephone numbers
5. in the pink
e. to have a simple view of what is right
and wrong or good and bad
6. whiter than white
f. with dark marks on your skin caused by
being hit or having an accident
7. see things in black and white
g. to permit someone to do something or
permit something to happen
h. very rarely
9. give the green light to something
i. to be very unhappy because someone
has something that you want
10. be green with envy
j. relating to people who work in offices,
doing work mentally rather than
II. Use the above phrases to complete the following sentences. Make changes
1. His arm was______________________ after the ferocious fight with his friends
2. I have never believed in the image of the_____________ actress mentioned in
3. I spent two hours searching in______________ for his house’s telephone
4. She’s 29 but she still thinks simply. She just_______________________.
5. He has been working as a______________ worker for more than twenty years
without feeling bored of the daily chores.
6. One day,_____________, she announced that she was leaving. Everyone was
really surprised with her decision.
7. The government has_______________ the new shopping development.
8. Hey, buddy! Long time no see! Look at all of the muscle you have! You are quite
9. Ben wins a free tour to Spain for three weeks on a TV game show and I
10. My sister lives in Alaska, so I only see her________________.