Its All Greek to British Holidaymakers
In a survey conducted by leading online travel agent On the Beach, a staggering 72% of holidaymakers admittedthat other than saying hello and thank you, they could not communicate with the locals in their language.
With the holiday season in full swing, and as millions of Brits head to sunnier climes, On the Beach asked 1,000holidaymakers how they adapt to local culture whilst abroad.
The survey revealed that only a meagre 9% of holidaymakers can converse fully with the locals with 18% sayingthey could get by in a foreign language.
However, it would appear that British holidaymakers are a tad embarrassed by their lack of foreign language skillswith 97% admitting they should be making more of an effort. The remaining 3% stated that as they only travelonce a year, they dont feel they need to bother making the effort to learn.
However, what the majority of holidaymakers lack in foreign language skills, they make up for in their enthusiasmto immerse themselves in foreign cultures.It would appear that the once famous Brit abroad tag seems to be diminishing.
Typical British boozers abroad are no longer favourite watering holes amongst holidaymakers, with 87% opting fornights out in traditional local bars instead. Only the remaining 13% admit to partying only in traditional British pubsabroad.
The survey also revealed that the British palate has become more sophisticated over the years with more andmore people willing to try new and exotic menus. Of those surveyed, 47% said they favoured local traditionalrestaurants with only 6% saying they stick to British fare.
Gone are the days when Brits only mix with other Brits whilst on holiday; 91% of those surveyed stated they enjoymixing with the locals.
Further evidence that the British holidaymaker is keener than ever to experience other cultures can be seen whenasked about their choice of hotel. Only 19% said they booked recognised international hotels this summer, with81% opting for local family run establishments.
Simon Cooper, Chief Executive Officer at On the Beach said, The survey shows that we are behind our Europeanneighbours when it comes to learning new languages. Not only can it be very useful, the locals really do appreciateit when foreigners make the effort. However, it is good to see that British holidaymakers are becoming more opento different cultures. Many of the most popular holiday destinations including Spain and Turkey have a wonderfulrich history and taking time to explore other cultures can only add to the overall holiday experience.