Welcome to Scribd. Sign in or start your free trial to enjoy unlimited e-books, audiobooks & documents.Find out more
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
40 Years Ago Today...

40 Years Ago Today...

Ratings: (0)|Views: 2|Likes:
Published by Henry May

More info:

Published by: Henry May on Jul 29, 2010
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial


Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less





40 Years Ago Today...

By Henry May, Based On Information Gleaned from Sasquatch: The
Apes Among Us By John Green, Meet The Sasquatch by Chris
Murphy In Association with John Green and Thomas Steenburg and
Personal Testimony From Bob Gimlin

Roger Clarence Patterson and Robert Emory Gimlin, two
cowboys/ranchers from Yakima, Washington, were riding through Six
Rivers National Forest in Del Norte County, California, 150 miles north
of San Francisco, shooting a documentary on Bigfoot. At around 1:20
P.M. Pacific Time on Friday, October 20, 1967, Patterson and Gimlin
encountered a tree root system in the dirt, almost like a crow's nest
with logs jammed together. They rode around this, and encountered a
large, hair-covered creature standing by Bluff Creek. The creature,
startled, began to walk away. The horses went absolutely ballistic, and
began to buck. The packhorse ran away, as did Patterson's steed,

after it either threw Roger off or he jumped off, but not before
Patterson grabbed his movie camera out of his saddlebag. Gimlin was
able to maintain control over his horse eventually after a mighty
struggle. Patterson, on the chase after the creature with the camera,
stumbled several times and even fell on the uneven terrain, which
caused him to have to switch his camera off a couple of times (those
who have watched the film in slow motion have noticed at a couple of
junctures blank spots in the film, which indicate the film was stopped
because either Patterson's finger slid off the trigger or he was
conserving film). Patterson finally steadied himself on a log, and
filmed the creature walk across his field of sight. Gimlin had by this
time established control over his horse, and crossed the creek on his
horse, at which point the creature turned and looked at him, revealing
two large, pendulous breasts swinging and undulating (as seen in
Frame 352, shown here). The creature gave Patterson a look he
described as a look of contempt and scorn, as if, in his words, "You
know how it is when the umpire tells you 'One more word and you're
out of the game!' That's the way it felt." (He told this to John Green,
who quoted Patterson in his chapter on the Patterson/Gimlin Movie in
his opus Sasquatch: The Apes Among Us). Gimlin dismounted and
removed his rifle from its scabbard, but did not point it at the creature.

The creature kept on walking, being filmed by Patterson, until
Patterson ran out of film. Gimlin intended to chase the creature down,
but Patterson called him back, not wanting to be left alone out there
without his horse or rifle in case of attack. Patterson and Gimlin then
cast a couple of the creature's tracks, and then reloaded his film
camera and filmed the trackway. Patterson and Gimlin remounted
their horses, went and retrieved the packhorse and followed the
creature's tracks for several miles until losing them among the rocks.
Later, Bob Titmus investigated the site and found tracks leading to the
hillside above, where it appeared that the creature had sat down and
watched Patterson and Gimlin. Patterson and Gimlin then went to
Willow Creek and called Al Hodgson, with Patterson excitedly
exclaiming "Al, I got a picture of the son-of-a-buck!" They met Al at his
general store and went to Hodgson's home to discuss the events of
the day. After that, they went to a local airport and had the film flown to
Yakima to Patterson's brother-in-law Al DeAtley to be processed in
Seattle. Then the pair went back to their camp, but were surprised by
a late-night torrential downpour. All of their equipment got wet, but
Gimlin remembered the tracks left out on the sandbar and went and
covered them with pieces of bark. Patterson and Gimlin, in Gimlin's
truck, left the area as quickly as possible, encountering mudslides

You're Reading a Free Preview

/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->