- 3 -
The paint industry in India is Rs 49 billion sector. There is demand for paints due to industrialand economic growth and is somewhat relatively price-elastic. The global average per capitaconsumption is 15 kg. The per capita consumption of paints in India is very low at 0.5 kg per annumif compared with 4 kg in the South East Asian nations and 22 kg in developed countries. In India theorganized sector controls 70 percent of the total market with the remaining 30 percent being in thehands of nearly 2000 small-scale units. In India the industrial paint segment accounts for 30 percentof the paint market while the decorative paint segment accounts for 70 per cent of paints sold inIndia. Asian paints enjoys a strong hold over Indian paint industry with an overall market share of 33per cent in the organized paint market. The main reason that contributes to this fact is their strong andlargest distribution network among the players and its aggressive marketing has earned it strongbrand equity. It also has a strong focus on becoming a global brand. It was ranked 24th amongst thetop paint companies in the world by Coatings World - Top Companies Report 2006. Also it is doublethe size of any other paint company in India.
Asian Paints is India’s biggest and Asia’s third biggest paint company today, with a turnover of USD 1.1 billion. The company has an enviable reputation in the corporate world for professionalism,fast track growth and building shareholder equity. Asian Paints operates in 20 countries and has 28paint manufacturing facilities in the world functioning in over 65 countries. The group operatesaround the world through its subsidiaries Berger International Limited, Apco coatings, SCIB paintsand Taubman. The company has come a long way since its small beginnings in 1942. Four friendswho were willing to take on the world's biggest, most famous paint companies operating in India atthat time set it up as a partnership firm. Today it’s a corporate force and India's leading paintscompany. Asian paints is the industry leader with an overall market share of 33 per cent in theorganised paint market. It has the largest distribution network among the players and its aggressivemarketing has earned it strong brand equity. It also has a strong focus on becoming a global brand. Itwas ranked 24th amongst the top paint companies in the world by Coatings World - Top CompaniesReport 2006. Also it is double the size of any other paint company in India.
Asian Paints has been known for its innovations in the industry. It has been one of the firstcompanies to come up with 50 ml and 100 ml paints packs for rural markets where consumersneeded very small quantities. They also were the first to come up with the tinting machine option.This allows the consumers to select literally any shade of color at the dealer’s location. The dealerwould then use the computerized tinting machine to mix the appropriate primary colors and deliverthe colour the customer requires. This technology greatly reduced the inventory at the dealers