60 Item Medical Surgical Nursing : Musculoskeletal Examination1. A client is 1 day postoperative after a total hip replacement. The client should be placedin which of the following position?
a. Supineb. Semi Fowler'sc. Orthopneicd. Trendelenburg
2. A client who has had a plaster of Paris cast applied to his forearm is receiving painmedication. To detect early manifestations of compartment syndrome, which of theseassessments should the nurse make?
a. Observe the color of the fingersb. Palpate the radial pulse under the castc. Check the cast for odor and drainaged. Evaluate the response to analgesics
3. After a computer tomography scan with intravenous contrast medium, a client returnsto the unit complaining of shortness of breath and itching. The nurse should be prepared totreat the client for:
a. An anaphylactic reaction to the dyeb. Inflammation from the extravasation of fluid during injection.c. Fluid overload from the volume of the infusionsd. A normal reaction to the stress of the diagnostic procedure.
4. While caring for a client with a newly applied plaster of Paris cast, the nurse makes noteof all the following conditions. Which assessment finding requires immedite notification of the physician?
a. Moderate pain, as reported by the clientb. Report, by client, the heat is being felt under the castc. Presence of slight edema of the toes of the casted footd. Onset of paralysis in the toes of the casted foot
5. Which of these nursing actions will best promote independence for the client in skeletaltraction?
a. Instruct the client to call for an analgesic before pain becomes severe.b. Provide an overhead trapeze for client usec. Encourage leg exercise within the limits of tractiond. Provide skin care to prevent skin breakdown.
6. A client presents in the emergency department after falling from a roof. A fracture of thefemoral neck is suspected. Which of these assessments best support this diagnosis.
a. The client reports pain in the affected legb. A large hematoma is visible in the affected extremity