22. Same as #21 but using HTTP 1.0.
23. What does the HTTP HEAD method do?
It is like a GET method but without transmitting the requested object (just the headers).
24. What is a DNS PTR-type record for?
To enable PTR queries: these queries provide the name for a given IP address
25. When uploading a file using FTP protocol and passive mode, who starts data connection?
26. What type of server is one that can only handle one client at a time?
An iterative server
27.Write Java code that waits until a connection is made on
and then it waitstill the text “Hello World” is received.
Socket s=ss.connect(); Scanner sc=new Scanner(s.getInputStream());while(sc.nextLine().indexOf("Hello World")==-1) ;
28. Write Java code to write “Hello World” to
making sure it is transmitted rightaway.
PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(s.getOuputStream(), true); pw.println("Hello World");
29. When using PrintWriter
method, which is the end of line marker transmitted?
30. Using command line, how can you tell if there is a web server in your computer?
telnet localhost 80
31. What is the channel utilization of an
stop & wait
protocol if packet transmission time is 20msec, acknowledge transmission time is negligible and propagation delay is 100 msec?
32. How can we obtain 50% utilization in problem #31?
A sliding window protocol with a window size of 6 will give 54% utilization.
33. What happens after a timeout on a
All the frames pending of acknowledgement are retransmitted.
34. What is the value of TCP sequence number at the end of a connection?
The initial value plus the number of transmitted bytes plus two.
35. What is TCP 16-bit header field
Connection flow control.
36. What type of handshaking is used for closing a TCP connection?
It is a double two-way handshake.
37. How IP header checksum is calculated?
Header bytes are grouped as 16-bit numbers that are added using one's complement arithmetic.
38. Why IP service is unreliable?
Because there is not a built-in acknowledge for received datagrams: Those lost will go unnoticed.
Maximum Segment Size
It is the maximum size of the data part of a segment.
40. How is the
Maximum Segment Size
It is determined by each end of a connection at the beggining of it by the use of a TCP option.
41. What is the minimum size (in bytes) of a TCP header?
42. What is the purpose of TCP's flow control?
To prevent a fast transmitter to overwhelm a slow receiver.
43. What is the way TCP retransmission timeout is determined?