The exercises involve complete muscular control.
Accuracy in the form of proper alignment is of utmost importance and has to be maintained
throughout the Pilates workout.
Usage of breath is vital for proper results. It is important that the breathing technique be
Fluidity of motion is characteristic of Pilates.
Advantages of Pilates
- The exercises can be done by just about anyone. There are exercises tailored to the need of
any kind of individual
- The exercises do not involove that many repetitions (reps)
- All parts of the body are involved in an exercise, no part of your body is idle. Because of this all
parts of the body get effectively worked.
- The exercises help in toning the body and make it look graceful.
- The exercises help in building flexibility.
- Since the focal point of the exercises is the central part of the body, that is abdomen, back and
elbow floor, the chances of straining the neck, arms and legs is less. Pilates is excellent for those
who want flat abs.
- Pilates helps improve posture owing to the emphasis on the core muscles of the body.
- Your energy levels are on the rise from the beginning of the exercise regimen.
- Provided your intake of calories is lesser than what you burn off, practice of Pilates is a very
effective means of losing weight.
The most popular of Pilates equipment is the reformer. Designed by Pilates himself, the
machinery that comes in metal or wood helps develop good alignment, core strength and
A 13-inch diameter ring also a creation of Pilates is made of flexible metal or rubber and can by
used to find out which muscles are being deployed and which muscles aren't. To a minor extent,
the circle is used as a means of providing resistance.
Pilates fitness balls
Unlike the reformers and the magic circles, these fitness balls are not a creation of Joseph
Pilates, but nevertheless have become popular in all forms of exercise and not just in Pilates.
They are 55-75 cm in diameter. They are great to use to exercise your core muscles by either
trying to sit on them or recline on them, and are used in many Pilates exercises.