October 11, 2010
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Branding vs. direct response
- What brands are spending on interactive now, and where
- Best Practice: Get a new funnel- Inventory evaluation tools- Best Practice: Evaluate clutter of all media partners- Best Practice: Use reach-buying techniques for brandlaunches or repositionings- Best Practice: Understand and use audience cumesto flight campaigns- Best Practices in usage of ad networks and exchanges
- Clicks: Brands embrace response- Best Practice: Branding impact studies- Best Practice: Measure branding impact- Best Practice: Find an optimal online conversion path- Best Practice: Measure offline-sales impact over time- Best Practice: Use current GRP tools–supportinitiatives to create better ones- Best Practice: Pre- and post-buy studies: Get whatyou paid for- Best Practice: Test for optimal frequency- Best Practice: Employ brand-protection tools forcontext safety- Best Practice: Was the ad even seen? Above-the-foldtools- Best Practice: Re-marketing consumers- Best Practice: Incorporate interactive into media-mixmodels
- Best Practices: Dynamic Logic, Nielsen IAG- Best Practice: Don’t optimize creative to the click- New creative options
Finding the magic
Brand dollars vs. direct dollars, 4Barclays Capital
All forms of TV viewing are increasing, 5The Nielsen Co.
Online ad-spend data, The Nielsen Co. 6
Retail, CPG and public services show 6greatest growth, The Nielsen Co.
Top brands online, ranked by share of 7spending, The Nielsen Co.
Top sites ranked by impressions, 8Q2 2010, The Nielsen Co.
Search, purchases by type of website, 10Online Publishers Association
Publisher ad-clutter summary, 10June 2010, comScore
Audience cumes, comScore11
Top audience segments purchased, 12June 2010, Audience Science
Social network vs. portal share of 12global total minutes, comScore
Custom ads on Facebook improve 13effectiveness, The Nielsen Co.
Reach of ad networks, 14comScore
Worst malware found, July-August 2010 15ClickFacts
Metrics brand marketers want, Bain/IAB17
Brand metric glossary, Dynamic Logic17
Brand awareness increases with multiple 18media use, Dynamic Logic
Online ad impact over time, comScore20
Sample media plan, Atlas/comScore21
Pre- and post-testing, comScore22
Best practices in frequency,24Insight Express
Poorly performing campaigns 24negatively impact branding,Dynamic Logic
MORE ON ADAGE.COM
This is one in a series of white papers published byAdvertising Age. To see other Ad Age white papers andto obtain additional copies of this white paper, go to
This document, and information contained therein, is thecopyrighted property of Crain Communications Inc. andAdvertising Age (© Copyright 2010) and is for your personal,non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, display on awebsite, distribute, sell or republish this document, or theinformation contained therein, without prior written consent ofAdvertising Age. Copyright 2010 by Crain Communications Inc.All rights reserved.