9 Reasons Why Abortions Should Be Illegalhttp://www.mrdata.net/books/9reasons.htm3 of 86/29/2008 4:40 PM
1. Laws supporting abortion kill babies.
To prohibit abortions vastly decreases them. Abortion are "absolutely necessary" in only two cases: themother's health or the baby's health. Abortions based on the mother's health account for 3% of abortions.Abortions based on the baby's health account for 3% of abortions. Total: 6%. (Source: Forrest, J.D. & Torres,A. "Why Do Women Have Abortions?" Family Planning Perspectives) Women don't feel that abortion is"absolutely necessary." Women feel selfishly inconvenienced by pregnancy. To repeat, because abortion wasmade legal in the U.S., about 1.5 Million (1,500,000) babies are murdered every year in the U.S. by abortion.Every baby of the aborted 1.5 Million dies. Cold blooded murder is criminal, and should be treated as murder.(Killing a baby is sometimes, though rarely, medically necessary. This is not murder, and should be legal, justas killing someone in self defense is legal.)
2. Legal abortions protect women's health.
Legal abortion not only protects women's lives, it also protects their health. For tens of thousands of womenwith heart disease, kidney disease, severe hypertension, sickle-cell anemia and severe diabetes, and otherillnesses that can be life-threatening, the availability of legal abortion has helped avert serious medicalcomplications that could have resulted from childbirth. Before legal abortion, such women's choices werelimited to dangerous illegal abortion or dangerous childbirth.
2. Legal abortions protect women's health.
Protecting women's lives preventing serious medical complications are valuable, and should be legal. Yourown figures indicate that tens of thousands of women have health reasons for aborting babies. Your ownfigures indicate that millions of women abort their babies. This indicates a very rough estimate of 1% of abortions that are done because of the mother's health.
3. A woman is more than a fetus.
There's an argument these days that a fetus is a "person" that is "indistinguishable from the rest of us" and thatit deserves rights equal to women's. On this question there is a tremendous spectrum of religious,philosophical, scientific, and medical opinion. It's been argued for centuries. Fortunately, our society hasrecognized that each woman must be able to make this decision, based on her own conscience. To impose alaw defining a fetus as a "person," granting it rights equal to or superior to a woman's - a thinking, feeling,conscious human being -- is arrogant and absurd. It only serves to diminish women.
3. A fetus is more than a piece of tissue.
Yes, there has been argument over this issue for centuries.Regarding Science and Medicine: Currently, all valid science and medicine is 100% clear that a fetus isa person. Practically, 100% of a person's genetic makeup is determined at the moment of conception.Science and medicine define being a person (human) by genetic means. According to science andmedicine, a fetus is a distinct organism.a.Regarding Religion: Religion, on the other hand, is not as clearly defined as medicine and science,because religion introduces the soul into the situation. However, no religious leader would say that afetus does not have a soul
because of thi
s a fetus may be capriciously aborted. Religiousopinion is slowly beginning to accept science and medicine. Any religious leader with a strong practicalgrounding in scientific knowledge will have to admit that every embryo has a soul. However, regardlessof when a person gains a soul, religious opinion does not show any support at all for abortion. In fact,religion is one of the strongest opponents of abortion.b.Regarding Philosophy: Philosophical opinion does show some variety regarding when a baby becomes aperson. This is due solely to the fact that most philosophy is of ancient origin. Regardless of whether aphilosopher believes ancient philosophies (which were developed before the discovery of cells, heredity,and DNA), the philosopher would not support capricious abortions.c.Conclusion: Neither science, nor medicine, nor religion, nor philosophy supports capricious abortions.In fact, there is a narrow band of belief in science, medicine, religion, and philosophy that life isvaluable, should be supported, and should not be killed when the killing is reasonably avoided. In fact,those who believe strongly in science, in medicine, in religion, or in philosophy are some of thed.