GENERAL STUDIES - 2005(PRELIMINARY)
Time Allowed: Two.Hours Maximum Marks: 150
1. According to Census 2001, which one of the following Indian States has themaximum population in India after Uttar Pradesh?
(a) West Bengal (b) Maharashtra(c) Bihar (d) Tamil Nadu
2. Itaipu Dam built art the River Parana is one of the largest dams in theworld. Which one of the following two countries have this as a joint project?
(a) Brazil and Peru (b) Paraguay and Ecuador(c) Brazil and Paraguay (d) Colombia and Paraguay
3. Consider the following statements:
1. There are 25 High Courts in India2. Punjab, Haryana and the' Union Territory of Chandigarh have a commonHigh Court.3. National Capital Territory of Delhi has a High Court of its own.Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?(a) 2 and 3 (b) 1 and 2(c) 1, 2 and 3 (p) 3 only
4. Which one of the following cities is not a former capital of the given country
(Country given in the brackets)?
(a) Karachi (Pakistan) (b) Auckland (New Zealand)(c) Kyoto Japan) (d) Brisbane (Australia)
5. Consider the following statements:
1. Total land area of Earth is approximately 1475 lakh square kilometres.2. Ratio of land area to water area of Earth is approximately 1 : 4.3. Maximum percentage of Earth's water is in the Pacific Ocean.Which of the stateinentsgiven above is/ are correct?(a) 1 ai1d 3 (b) 2 and 3 .(c) 1 only (d) 3 only
6. Consider the following statements:
1. Kyoto Protocol came into force in the year 2005.2. Kyoto Protocol deals primarily with the depletion of the Ozone layer.3. Methane as a greenhouse gas is more harmful than carbon dioxide.Which of the statements given above is/ are correct?(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 and 3(e) 1 only (d) 3 only
7. Which one of the following pairs is
(a) Seikan Rail Tunnel: China(b) Petronas Towers: Malaysia