4. Document Updates
BEFORE COMING TO THE US of A
WELCOME TO AGGIELAND, HOME OF THE 12th
1. What is Aggieland?
2. What does A&M stand for?
COLLEGE STATION AND GENERAL QUERIES
1. How big is College Station?
2. What is the weather like in College Station?
4. What is this DST - Daylight Saving Time?
5. Are there any places to visit in Texas?
LIFE AS AN INDIAN STUDENT at TEXAS A&M
1. Are there Indians in College Station?
2. Are there Indian stores in College Station?
5. What is the India Association all about?
IMMUNIZATION & MEDICAL RELATED
ELPE (English Language Proficiency Exam)
3. When and where do I take the ELPE?
5. How do I prepare for the ELPE?
6. Is the ELPE difficult? What are the sections in it?
7. What are the various sections in the ELPE?
8. In case I don’t pass ELPE the first time, what should I do?
10. What is the Oral Assessment all about?
Social Security Number
1. What is a Social Security Number?
2. What is an identity theft?
3. How do I avoid identity threat?
4. What do I have to do to get the SSN?
5. So that means I don’t have to do anything right now in India?
7. Where can I get to read more about the SSN?
Drivers License, International Driving Permit &
2. Does it help to bring my Indian Driver’s License?
3. Can I drive there without the IDP?
4. How do I get the IDP?
7. What is a State ID? Do I need to have this?
8. Where can I get a copy of the Texas Drivers Handbook?
AIRPORT, FLIGHT DETAILS
1. Where should I land or to say the airport?
3. Which airline is the best?
4. What should I keep in mind when I book the tickets?
CHECK-IN and ORIENTATION
2. What is this “check-in” that you are talking about?
INITIAL ACCOMODATION, PICKUP
2. What is in-state and out-state tuition?
3. How much money should I carry?
4. What are the average expenses of students?
7. What kind of jobs (positions) are available?
FULL TIME JOBS
3. What is the style of interviews in the US?
4. How do I know what courses I can take?
6. How come I need fewer credit hours in summer?
7. Do I have to select my courses before I come there?
9. Can I contact the professor to ask about a course?
12. Can I change my department after I come there?
BAGGAGE AND PACKING
2. What kind of boxes should I go for?
CLOTHES, UTENSILS, FOOD TO BRING
1. What clothes do I need to get when I come there?
Suggested Clothes (for all seasons):
Summarizing your clothes list:
2. The suit is taking up a lot of space in the baggage? Do I really need
3. What kind of foot-ware should I use?
Suggested Footwear (for all seasons):
4. Should I get any accessories such as razors, shaving kit, etc.?
Summarizing your Personal accessories list:
5. What utensils should I bring?
Summarizing your Utensils list:
6. Should I carry any food with me?
Recommended Food Items:
STATIONARY, TEXT BOOKS TO BRING
1. Do I need to carry any stationary with me when I come there?
Suggested Stationary list:
2. What textbooks should I carry with me when I come here?
3. Can we bring some copied CDs and Photostat copies of books?
4. Do I need to bring a calculator?
5. Should I buy a laptop from India or should I get one when I come there?
IT’S PACKING TIME
1. Any packing tips?
2. Since the hand baggage is small, what do you suggest that I carry in it?
3. What documentation should I carry with me?
THINGS TO DO IN THE WEEK BEFORE TRAVEL
1. What are the important things to do in the week before I travel?
2. Any final things to be done in the last 2-3 days?
ONE LAST REVIEW OF IMPORTANT THINGS
ON THE DAY OF TRAVEL, IN-FLIGHT
1. What should I keep in mind on the day I travel?
2. I’m having a transit. What should I do when I get there?
3. What’s all this hype about jet lag?
4. The total journey is going to be about 20 hours. Won’t this be tiring?
FORMS TO FILL DURING THE FLIGHT TO THE
1. Which forms do I have to fill out during my flight in the USA?