Organizational structure of electricity supply industry in India has been evolutionaryin nature. To understand this evolution it would be necessary to go over the past history of the electricity supply industry.1.1
In the year 1883 the first electric supply undertaking in the country was sponsored bya company which constructed a small generating station in the city of Surat in Gujarat. Thiswas perhaps one of the earliest electric supply companies anywhere in the world. Thisundertaking got as far as lighting the main streets of the city by arc lamps, but unfortunately,in the next year, disastrous floods of the river Tapti submerged its generating plant. In theyear 1896, an undertaking started operations at, Calcutta. Thus the beginning of electricsupply industry in India was mainly due to private company effort.The electricity legislation was first made in India in 1887. The Electricity Act of 1887 was enacted to meet the situation created by the erection of a few dynamos and lightingappliances. This Act was based on the English Statute of 1882 and was more or less atemporary measure. In 1903 this Act of 1887 was modified and enlarged by the Governmentof India so as to enable issue of Licence to the Calcutta Electric Supply Company granted in1907 to the a ras and Delhi electric supply companies. In 1910 the electricity supplylegislation was further revised. The Indian Electricity Act. 1910, was carefully modernisedand adopted to suit Indian conditions. The private companies were accorded a wellconsidered statutory footing in developing the electricity supply industry and it has remainedsubstantially unchanged till today, except to the extent reinforced by the provisions of theElectricity (Supply) Act., 1948.1.2
ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE OF THE ELECTRICITY SUPPLYINDUSTRY JUST AFTER INDEPENDENCE.
India attained independence from the British Rule in 1947. It would be of interest toinvestigate the organizational structure of the industrypriortoindependence.TheTable-1shows the ownership of the electric suply undertaking as at the end of 1947