Advanced ExcelDeb’s 30 Tips
17. Protect Worksheet Data:
(Locked cells is the default)
1. Select entire worksheet2. Format, Cells, Protection tab3. Click Locked check box to deselect it4. Select parts to protect and do Format, Cells, Protection, Lock5. Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet
18. Looking for inexact matches to search criteria
Find or Replace features for near-matches to criteria. Use wildcard characters in asearch string. like the DOS rules. The ? wildcard character is used in place of any singlecharacter and the * wildcard character is used for multiple characters.
19. Freeze Panes
To freeze your column labels:
1. Select the row BELOW the row containing your column labels.2. Choose Window + Freeze Panes.
To freeze your row labels:
1. Select the column to the RIGHT of the column(s) containing your row labels.2. Choose Window + Freeze Panes.
To freeze both row AND column labels:
1. Select the cell in the row just below your column labels and in the column just to theright of your row labels.2. Choose Window + Freeze Panes.
20. Show Excel's complete Standard and Formatting toolbars (2000)
Configure Excel so that both toolbars appear in their own rows.1. Select View | Toolbars |2. Customize > Options tab3. Clear the Standard And Formatting Toolbars Share One Row check box andclick OK.
21. Parse Excel data without worksheet formulas (97/2000)
1. Enter first and last name data in column A of a worksheet.2. Select the data and choose Data | Text To Columns from the menu bar.3. Click Next on the Convert Text To Columns Wizard.4. Clear the check boxes in the Delimiters panel and select the Space check box.5. (If splitting data like a date, enter a slash (/) in the Other text box Click Next6. In the Destination text box, enter the worksheet cell where you want the split dataplaced, then click the Finish button.
22. Moving worksheets between Excel workbooks (97/2000)
1. Open the workbooks with your data.2. Choose Window | Arrange from the menu bar,3. Select the Horizontal option button, and click OK.4. Click and drag a worksheet tab from one workbook to another.