The Great Clans
The Crab Clan
The descendants of the Hida, the strongest of the Kami, and his followers have takenit upon themselves to guard the Emerald Empire's border with the Shadowlands.They are the least courteous of the clans, preferring a directness that seems to beabrasive and curt to other samurai, over the elaborate etiquette that rules the societyof the upper class of Rokugan. They have a hot temper and a raucous sense of humour that serves little to endear them on other clans. Despite that, they are the most dutiful group of people inall of Rokugan, knowing that if ever the wall they guard falls, so does the Empire.The Crab are not a trusting bunch, but once you have a Crab ally, you will be hard pressed to find a more loyaland dependable one. They also bear long-lasting grudges, and once betrayed they never forgive nor forget.The Crab respect strength above all, be it physical, mental, or magical, and hate the Shadowlands and all thathails from there with a passion.
– gunmetal grey, blue, brick red.
– The ruling family of the Crab are among the finest warriors of the Empire. Loyal, just andfierce, they are deeply respected by the other families of the clan (L5R 3
ed. p. 46).
– This family educates and inducts those samurai who join the Crab thanks to Twenty GoblinWinters (EE p. 75).
– This family forms the advance scouts of the Crab Clan, trained to move swiftly andtirelessly through hostile terrain, to discover as soon as possible any hostilities from theShadowlands (L5R 3
ed. p. 46).
– this ancient vassal family was the first to represent the interests of the Crab in the ImperialCourt (EE p. 75)
– The greatest architects, siege masters and analysts in Rokugan. They are pragmatic, butintensely loyal to the Crab Clan, and it is often said that as long as there are Kaiu to maintain it,the Carpenter Wall (between the Empire and the Shadowlands) shall never fall (L5R 3
– masters of the quarries of the Crab Clan, the Maisuna are responsible for producing thematerials for the maintenance of the Great Wall, as well as most other works of Crab masonry (EE p. 74)
– The spiritual and religious centre of the Crab Clan, the Kuni are among the most fearedfamilies in Rokugan. They study Maho and the effects of the Shadowlands taint with analyticaldetachment, to better understand the enemy, but because of their proximity to Shadowlands haveproduced more Black practitioners than all other shugenja families combined (L5R 3
ed. p. 47).
– This family is charged with the capture of Shadowlands beasts and monsters for the Kuni tostudy (EE p. 75)
– The former Falcon Clan was absorbed into the Crab Clan a few decades ago, aftertheir lands were badly damaged in a Black Magic catastrophe. The Toritaka are phantom andghost hunters, experts on the supernatural and the Spirit Realms. Quiet, reserved, and observant,