Code No: RR310404
Set No. 2
III B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
LINEAR IC APPLICATIONS
(Electronics & Communication Engineering)
Time: 3 hours
Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
\u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6
1. (a) De\ufb01ne slew rate? What causes the slew rate?
(b) How is slew rate measured? Explain.
(c) Explain the term thermal drift.
2. (a) What are the advantages of instrumentation ampli\ufb01er? Derive an expression
for the transfer function of an instrumentation ampli\ufb01er.
(b) Explain the use of reference terminal provided in an integrated circuit
3. (a) Design a di\ufb00erentiator to di\ufb00erentiate an input signal that varies in frequency
from 10 Hz to about 1KHz. If a sine wave of 1V peak at 1000Hz is applied to
this di\ufb00erentiator draw the output wave forms.
(b) Why active di\ufb00erentiator circuits are not used in analog computer to solve
4. (a) In a second-order high pass Butterworth \ufb01lter C2 = C3 = 0.047\u00b5f, R2 =R3 =
3.3K\u2126, R1 = 27 K\u2126 and RF =15.8 KW. Determine the low cuto\ufb00 frequency
fL of the \ufb01lter.
(b) Obtain the frequency response and plot for the \ufb01lter.
5. (a) With suitable circuit diagram explain the operation of a triangular wave gen-
erator using a comparator and an integrator.
(b) In the above circuit if the integrator components are R1=120K\u2126 and C1=0.01
\u00b5Fand the feedback resistor in the comparator stage is 6.8K\u2126, the input re-
sistor at non inverting terminal is 1.2K\u2126, determine
i. Peak-to-peak triangular output amplitude
ii. The frequency of triangular wave.
6. Draw the functional diagram of a 555 time IC and explain the function of each
internal block to obtain astable multivibrator operation.
7. (a) Explain the operation of a multiplying DAC and mention its applications.
(b) A 12-bit D to A converter has a full-scale range of 15 volts. Its maximum
di\ufb00erential linearity error is\u00b1 1/2 LSB.
i. What is the percentage resolution?
ii. What are the minimum and maximum possible values of the increment in
its output voltage?
1 of 2