Code No: RR411804
Set No. 2
IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
SEMI-CONDUCTORS AND MAGNETIC MATERIALS
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours
Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
\u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6 \u22c6
1. Explain with suitable diagrams the conduction band, valence band and the for-
bidden band and explain the behavior of conductor, semi-conductor and insulator.
Explain the contribution of electrons and holes to electrical conduction.
2. (a) Explain the experimental setup for measuring Hall voltage.
(b) What are semi-condctors? How do they di\ufb00er from conductors? Discuss.
Explain about p-type semi-conductors.
3. (a) Write down as many as you can the ways in which n-type and p-type semi-
conductors di\ufb00er from an intrinsic semi-conductor? Also explain it fully
(b) What do you mean by donor exhaustion? Discuss the donor exhaustion graph-
ically in an impurity semi-conductor.
4. (a) Explain how electrons and holes both conduct in a pure silicon crystal. How
is conductivity in\ufb02uenced by mobility of electrons and holes?
(b) What do you mean by ionic conductivity? How it di\ufb00ers from electronic
conductivity? Explain the ionic conductivity in solids.
5. (a) What is super conductivity? Outline the experimental facts about this phe-
(b) Explain about Meissner e\ufb00ect.
(c) Explain the important property changes that occur in materials when they
change from normal to superconducting state.
6. (a) Explain why the ferromagnetic domains subdivide until they reach a certain
(b) What form of domain reorientation dissipate the most energy? What part of
the magnetization curve is produced by this e\ufb00ect? Explain.
7. (a) Explain the Neel\u2019s theory of antiferromagnetism.
(b) Draw the B-H curve for a ferromagnetic material and explain it. Identify the
retentivity and the coercive \ufb01eld on the curve. Explain the energy loss per
8. (a) Distinguish clearly between soft and hard magnetic materials. Discuss their
important properties and applications.
(b) What magnetic characteristics are required for a soft magnet. What structural
features optimize these behaviors. Discuss.
1 of 2