A History of the Louisiana State University Bands in the Era of Frank B. Wickes
By Juli M. Rainwater There have been three records of the history of the LSU School of Music. The first, byDr. Charlie Roberts, documented the history of the entire School of Music from its 1893 rootsuntil 1968.
Next, Dr. Brenda Walker chronicled the history of the School during the tenure of Dr. Everett L. Timm, 1955-1979.
In 1984, with the assistance of Professor Frank Wickes, senior music education major, Patricia Wafer compiled a series of notebooks containing primarydocuments related to the LSU bands from 1959 when Assistant Professor Thomas Tyra becamethe director of bands until 1984, Wafer’s last year at LSU.
The purpose of this paper is tohighlight the development of the LSU Bands since 1980, coinciding with the arrival of Professor Wickes. This will be accomplished through the historical method of research in a two-foldprocess: 1) Interviews with faculty, staff, alumni, and curr ent students, and 2) examination of concert programs, historical videotapes, and dissertations. In addition, news reports from local,state, and national publications will be used. The paper will cover departmental organization,including administrative changes and their effects on the department and the development of thevarious organizations within the band department.In March of 1980, Director of Bands, Nickolas Rouse, resigned his appointment atLouisiana State University for health reasons. In the following months, a search ensued for his
Charlie Walton Roberts, “The History of the Louisiana State University School of Music,” Ph.D. diss., LouisianaState University, 1968.
Brenda Gale Williams, “A History of the Louisiana State University School of Music (1955-1979),” Ph.D. diss.,Louisiana State University, 1983.
Patricia Wafer, “History of the LSU Bands, 1959-1984,” unpublished manuscript, 1984.