Nevada Department of WildlifeBig Game Seasons and Application Regulations
Aerial and Ground Surveys Conducted by NDOW
The Department conducts extensive big game aerial andground surveys to collect data on herd status for seasonand tag quota determination and for herd management.Due to the length of Nevada’s numerous hunting seasons,the extensive distribution of Nevada’s big game animals,and the optimal window to survey certain species; huntersmay encounter biologists performing either aerial or groundsurvey activities. All efforts will be made to minimize the
potential for conict. If you are unsure whether or not
an aircraft or ground vehicle is performing a legitimateherd status survey, please report the incident to a NDOW
ofce with the time, date, location, and aircraft/vehicle
Check Out the New Silver State Tag
The new Silver State Tag is out for 2011. This is a statewidetag that has the same season as a Nevada Heritage tag(Auction tag) for the same species. For more informationcheck out the regulation on page 16 or a Silver State factsheet on page 20.
Hunt Unit Advisories
In an effort to improve the hunting experience, the Nevada
Department of Wildlife has put together a table for hunter
access restrictions and other advisories for specic hunts
and unit groups. This information may affect your decision
on where to apply this year. It is important to make an
informed decision and know what a particular hunt is all
about vs. choosing a hunt/area solely on draw odds or
second-hand information and regretting that decision after you draw the tag.
You can nd the 2011 Hunt Unit Advisory on the NDOW
Pre-Register Your Hunter Education
The Department offers pre-registration of hunter education.The Department recommends hunters check to see if their
hunter education records are on le. You can do so by goingto www.huntnevada.com. Call 1-800-576-1020 to conrm
your faxed records are received before April 11, 2011.
Hunters who applied online last year will receive a notication
postcard reminding them it is time to apply online for biggame. Hunters will be able to go to www.huntnevada.com,to look up their bonus points and species eligibility andaccess an online link to download this Application RegulationBrochure.
New/Changes to Big Game Seasons in 2011
• Split rie season for antelope 2151 hunt for Units 041,042 to address hunter congestion.
• New antelope rie hunt 2151 in Units 043 – 046;limited quota rst year.
• Bull depredation hunt in 222, 231 eliminated because
it was not meeting objectives of reducing elk use on
private land alfalfa elds.
• Split bull rie 4151 hunts for 061,071; 062-068,072,074; 073, and 075 in Elko County - Oct 22-Nov4 & Nov 6 – Nov 20 to spread hunter pressure and
earlier season to allow better access to elk herdbefore winter closes many roads.
Bull elk muzzleloader seasons for 061,071; 062-068,
072,074; 073, and 075 were moved to Oct 8 – Oct 21and now overlap with mule deer rie and antlerlesselk rie seasons.
Added new units to various elk hunts because of expanding elk habitat use areas: southern portion of
Unit 108 added to Unit 131; added Area 17 units toUnits 161 – 164 bull hunts; added Unit 223 to Units231, 241, 242.
Added several unit groups to the nonresident bullhunts (all weapon classes) because of increasing tagquotas for many herds.
• Antlerless elk hunts added to Unit Groups078,104,105-107 and 104,108,121.
Split antlerless elk hunts in October for 061,071 and
062,064,066-068 to reduce hunter congestion and
attempt to increase hunter success.
• Late season (Dec 5 – Jan 1) antlerless elk hunts
added to Area 11 and 22 unit groups.
Added new Resident Rocky Mountain Bighorn sheep
hunt in Unit 115.
All mule deer archery seasons start 1 week later onAug 8.
• Eliminated all 1181 antlerless mule deer hunts.
• Mule deer rie hunts split into early and late seasonsfor 011 – 013; 014; and 043 – 046 unit groups.
• Area 10 mule deer rie seasons are now split into 3
separate seasons to spread hunter pressure.
• Late mule deer archery season added to Unit 121.
• Early mule deer archery season open in Unit Group201, 202, 204-206.• Junior Mule Deer rie hunt 1107 ends on Monday, Oct31 after the Nevada Day Weekend, the same ending
date for unit groups that have a single October Hunt
1331 rie season.
Important Informaon for 2011