FUSED SALT CHEMISTRY OF INDUSTRIAL APPLICATION
INTRODUCTIONHEAT TREATERS can no longer use heat-treating methods that are only uniform, quick,efficient, and economical. They must also be environmentally responsible. Salt bath heat-treatingmethods are uniform, quick, efficient, economical, and environmentally responsible. Salt bathsare used in a wide variety of commercial heat-treating operations including neutral hardening,liquid carburizing, liquid nitriding, austempering, martempering, and tempering applications.Salt bath equipment is well adapted to heat treatment of ferrous and nonferrous alloys. Parts thatare heated in molten salt baths are heated by conduction; the molten salt bath provides a readysource of heat as required. Although materials being heated come in contact with heat throughtheir surfaces, the core of a part rises in temperature at approximately the same rate as its surface.Heat is quickly drawn to the core from the surface, and salt baths provide heat at an equal rateover the total part. Neither convection nor radiation heating methods is able to maintain the rateof heating required to reach equilibrium with the rate of heat absorption. The ability of a moltensalt bath to supply heat at a rapid rate accounts for the uniform, high quality of parts heat treatedin salt baths. Heat-treating times are also shortened; for example, a 25 mm (1 in.) diameter bar can be heated to temperature equilibrium in 4 min in a salt bath, whereas 20 to 30 min would berequired to obtain the same properties in either convection or radiation furnaces. Salt baths arevery efficient methods of heat treating; about 93 to 97% of the electric power consumed with acovered salt bath operation goes directly into heating of the parts. In atmosphere furnaces, 60%of the energy goes for heating, and the remaining 40% is released up the furnace stack as waste.Steels that are heat treated in molten salts typically are processed in ceramic-lined furnaces withsubmerged or immersed electrodes containing chloride-based salts.TYPES OF SALT BATH FURNACES1.
Embedded electrode salt-bath furnaceFor heating up the metal parts in melted in the salty fluid or the compound salt fluid, in order tocarriy on each kind of heat treatment, for example: Quenching, annealing, tempering,normalizing, nonoxidation heating and cementation and so on. This series electrode salt bathdivides into the low temperature, warm and the high temperature three kinds, its operatingtemperature respectively be 150-550, 550-1000, 1000- 1350.2.
Crucible salt bath furnaceMainly used for spare parts metal parts quenching, the cyaniding, crucible salt bath heattreatments and so on annealing and tempering use, especially is suitable for the fastener, thestandard letter heat treatment.3.
Laboratory salt-bath furnaceMainly used in the laboratory for each kind of heat treatments metal parts quenching,cyaniding, annealing and tempering treatments, especially suitable for the fastener, the standardletter heat treatment.