Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Look up keyword
Like this
1Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Student Senate Minutes for November 2nd

Student Senate Minutes for November 2nd

Ratings: (0)|Views: 46|Likes:
Published by Meredith Shamburger

More info:

Published by: Meredith Shamburger on Mar 30, 2011
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as DOC, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

03/30/2011

pdf

text

original

 
Order of Business for SMU Student SenateNovember 2, 2010Call to Order 3:31PMMoment of SilenceRoll CallApproval of Agenda: APPROVEDApproval of Minutes: APPROVEDSpeaker’s Podium
Arlene Manthey
o
Importance of knowing who’s involved in student organizations
o
Need to reach Alumni that were involved in specific things to invitethem back for specific events
Had student leaders that were involved in Multiculturalorganizations come back over Homecoming Weekend
Had to know who was involved in those organizations tomake that happen
o
Need a way for students to register their organizations in Access
o
Fundraising Efforts
In order to fund Senate Scholarships need to be able to contactold Senate Members
o
How can we put into place things that will make registering in Accessfeasible and doable?
Samaiya Mushtaq (MSA)
o
Answers to Questions:
o
$0 Funding for Fast-a-thon
Reaches out to all students to see what fasting is like in IslamicFaith
Engages all of SMU
Whole week before, are on West bridge handing out flyers
Budget has been tight for past years
Book all three ballroom
Expect 300-400 people
Free event, open to SMU community, open to public
Cornerstone event for the University
Free Food, Decorated Tables, Napkins, Utensils, Plates, AVCosts, PR materials (Flyers, Canopy, etc).
Inconsistent with last year
Difficult to come back and ask for funding for every event
Always uses all of appropriated funds
Don’t feel MSA should be punished for other organizationsmistakes
Checking account has $4,800 in it.
Some money belongs to charities
Cannot use donation money for event
o
50 current active members
o
been around for 25 years
o
Community Service Events
o
Constantly have events going on
o
$3,000 in annual budget
because we have so many events, we need that money
o
MSA has different charity that they donate to every year
 
This year donating to Pakistan
Need to have Agency present to accept donations
Nonprofit cannot donate to nonprofit
Were not informed, found out through minutes
Were not told process of how to file complaint, or how to amendrecommendation
Alexa Dow Senate Liaison
Charity money put into account in Spring of ‘09
Found out would not be able to donate money to charity
Do not feel comfortable using that money for somethingelse, until they are able to match the funds and spend iton a charity
Mustang Mavericks
o
Ali Gatewood and Philip Hughes
Perform all over campus and in Dallas area
Team has grown dramatically
Want to be chartered
Want to create sense of school spirit
Want to be able to use SMU’s name
Being used as a recruiting tool
Getting lots of attention
CeCe Cox
o
Alumni of Dedman School of Law (2004)
o
Here to discuss Special Interest Seat for LGBTQ community
o
Family has a long history of being involved in SMU Community
o
Never really felt engaged in SMU community, until engaged as openlygay student
o
Served on Executive Committee for School of Education
o
School of Education Students serve as counselors
o
Was not engaged while at SMU because felt invisible
o
Seat allows students to not feel invisible
o
LGBTQ or Ally would be more qualified to research and deal with issuesof LGBTQ community
Health Issues
Safety Issues
Stress Issues
Issue of feeling a part of the Community
o
Works with agency that provides HIV services to Dallas Community
Policy at SMU no longer ensures free HIV testing
o
Lots of stressors that are involved with being LGBTQ students
Data shows over and over that LGBTQ students are afraid
o
Many students committing suicide all over country
Not suggesting SMU’s climate is like that
o
Answers to Questions:
Constitution says that students need to be registered as ethnicminority
Do not have details as of yet, looking into it
Jasmine Carr
o
Showing support to MSA for Fast-a-thon event on behalf of DiversityCommittee
o
More than 400 students make pledges to fast for a day
o
Incorporating community and SMU students
 
o
Have seen first hand the amount of work that goes into the event
o
Supports funding MSA in full
o
Usually closely connected with Ramadan, but moved event back, sothat SMU community would be able to participate
By doing that, sacrificed donations from community members
Rachel Allen
o
Medieval Club
Asking for reconsideration of Charter Revocation
Not as visible on campus because they are more diverse
Club has existed for more than 25 years
Club has over 25 members
Three reasons why Charter should not be revoked
Has abided by rules in the handbook for 25 years
One signature missing because one student was 3minutes late
Depend on benefits of Charter
o
Attended meeting of Texas Medieval Conference
o
Had a tent next to Boaz Hall
o
Used SAMSA vans to transport scholars
o
Use SMU name for organization
o
Have a SAMSA website
o
Request Annual Budget
o
Use name for Medieval Club on Resumes to applyfor jobs
Answers to Questions:
When is your next meeting?
o
Reorganizing to see what we can do
Were aware that you had two weeks after to sign paper?
o
No
IAH U-Kiu
o
Law Student
o
Signature Alumni event for MSA
o
Good for SMU and campus
o
Believes will set a negative precedent for event
o
Started in promenades, now in Ballroom
o
Is the events 10
th
year anniversary
Officer Reports
President Torres
Pablo de Santiago
APPROVED
o
Inaugurated as Lyle Senator 
Legislation Feedback
o
ALEC legislation
President Turner suggested identifying key classes that upperclassmen have trouble with
If you can think of any classes for Juniors and Seniors please e-mail Parliamentarian Esau or President Torres
Vice President Prentice
November 30th
o
4:30PM will meet with members of Administration
Meeting with Mark Rhodes and Dick Holloway Re-cap
o
Proving Residency on campus for parking stickers

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
scribd
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->