Welcome to Scribd, the world's digital library. Read, publish, and share books and documents. See more
Download
Standard view
Full view
of .
Save to My Library
Look up keyword
Like this
0Activity
0 of .
Results for:
No results containing your search query
P. 1
Question 7

Question 7

Ratings: (0)|Views: 16 |Likes:
Published by ollie_cat01

More info:

Categories:Topics, Art & Design
Published by: ollie_cat01 on Apr 08, 2011
Copyright:Attribution Non-commercial

Availability:

Read on Scribd mobile: iPhone, iPad and Android.
download as DOCX, PDF, TXT or read online from Scribd
See more
See less

05/12/2014

pdf

text

original

 
7) Before starting our opening sequence we had to create our preliminary taskwhich was to show that we knew how to use all the equipment required of use.g. the camera for filming and final cut pro for editing. First we learnt how tohandle the equipment safely and how to set up the tripod/camera set-up whichensured that we would not break anything or the equipment would not functionproperly. With the set-up tutorial on the camera tripod, we learnt how toplace the tripod legs down safely and correctly as well as learning how to levelthe camera on the tripod and putting it on centre so not to film on a slant. Wewere reminded of the 180 degree rule so we kept that in mind.Once we knew how to use the filming equipment we filmed our preliminary taskusing shots like shot reverse shot, over the shoulder, close up and mid-long shotthis gave us ideas for our opening sequence as it gave us examples of what shotgot what reaction. We filmed the preliminary task shots in order which gave usan idea on how each shot needed to be filmed e.g. tripod height of reach shot.This gave some ideas on what order we may have to do our shots in. With thespeech in the task we filmed the speech at least three times at differentangles/shot which made editing a lot easier.Once the filming was finished we went to one of the editing suites and learntthe basics of final cut pro. We learnt how to log and capture and from that howto put the clips on to a continuous stream which helped place the film in order.Once the clips were together we learnt how to cut certain bits out and how tocut at the right point so the clips blend into one another (especially when itcame to the speech). I found this to be the most useful part of the preliminarytask as I had been allocated the role of editor from the beginning of this project.The preliminary task gave us an idea on how the timing will affect our work sowe decided to record every task that had to be done and split it between thetwo of us which made our time-keeping a lot better than if we hadnt knownhow long production can take. With good-time keeping we managed to finishpre-production at an early stage which gave us extra time for the productionespecially the editing which we had discovered from our preliminary task that it
 
took the longest time. Unfortunately we had hit some complications just beforestarting to film as one person in our group was ill the day of filming so I had totake her role as camera person as well as that our female actor let us down sothe director (Patsy Jones) had to step in and be the protagonist as well.One of my tasks was to take location shots which helped considerably as it gaveus a better idea on how we were to lay out the shots and how we were toconnect them. This helped with the day of the filming as all involved knewwhere to be at what point, the location notes served as a form of map aroundthe building.As editor I had to look further into final cut pro as although the preliminary tasktaught me the basics it did not teach how to put in effects and certaintransitions. This took some time in itself but I soon got the flow of it and withthis prior trial and error, editing the opening sequence went smoothly withoutany technical problems. I found the editing simple to do once I found the correctway of doing things such as adding effects and not crossing over certain clipsotherwise film time would delete.As camera person I learnt from the preliminary task that it is best to have atleast have a couple of goes with each shot to ensure that the editing runssmoother. The only thing that was not taken into account was having theequipment in the background, this was soon realized and the shot was re-filmedcorrectly but it did cut into time un-nessarly. Filming the opening sequence wasslightly easier then filming the preliminary task as we had no dialogue and itwas simply placing music over the film during editing. I found that the cameraperson has a lot more to think about and less le- way then the editor as iteffects everyone else roles crucially.This opening sequence has taught me that a lot of time is spent not only on theproduction but also the pre-production as well. I believe that we achieved Igood standard of work due to team work and having members that weremotivated to do the work. I have enjoyed making this opening sequence moreso they editing than anything else. As well as enjoying making this I learnt manycodes/conventions for the thriller genre and what thrillers are all about. I have

You're Reading a Free Preview

Download
/*********** DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! ************/ var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//-->