The Evolution of the Philippine Army Seal
The Army of the First Philippine Republic has an official seal that is very similar tothe present one. During the Commonwealth period, the Philippine Army adapted a sealpatterned after the United States Army. This seal was used long even after thePhilippine Army was reorganized after the war. When Headquarters Philippine Armywas organized in 1957 it issued HPA Circular No.1 dated 25 September prescribingthereat the shoulder insigne. The design of the insigne was in the form of a maroonshield with bold white outer lining; superimposed on the shield was a white trianglewith a maroon letter "A"(which stands for ARMY). The shield signifies defense which isthe primary mission of the Army. White color of the triangle(representing geographicalsubdivisions of the country) signifies honor of the country and integrity which everysoldier should uphold and keep untarnished. The maroon color was the distinction of the army during that time. The triangle engulfing the letter "A", signifies the honor of the country and integrity that which pervades and guides all activities.On July 25 1959, Royal Blue was adopted as the organizational color of thePhilippine Army discarding the maroon in keeping with the distinctive color of the PA which is blue. With it are changes in color in pendants, chevrons,general officer's flagpiping and patches, pursuant to HPA Circular No. 2, dated 23 November 1959, theRoyal Blue Insigne was replaced by the "Shield" insigne. This Philippine ShoulderSleeve Insigne (Republic Seal), should be worn on the right shoulder when detailed inforeign countries but should be removed upon arrival in the Philippines.