FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOR MORE INFORMATION:March 11, 2009 Sarah SmithDevelopment Director (541) 345-3628 x firstname.lastname@example.org
In January 1952, under the direction of Monsignor Edmund J. Murnane, CatholicCharities of Lane County opened its first office in Eugene to help families and individuals inneed. The agency name was changed when it became an independent "member" organization of Catholic Charities Portland in the 1980s.Originally, the staff managed a foster home program, provided marriage counseling,served unwed mothers and their children, and gave emergency aid to people in crisis. Today,Catholic Community Services (CCS) provides help in the form of rent scholarships, food boxes,counseling, energy assistance, prescription subsidies, and transitional housing.
CCS is one of only three accredited social service agencies in Lane County, havingreceived this recognition through the New York based Council on Accreditation. The other accredited agencies in Lane County are Looking Glass and S.C.A.R. The accreditation processensures that CCS is operated using the best standards and practices of the industry as appliedacross all facets of the organization, including financial management, ethical practices, deliveryof services, and quality of the service environment.