Facts & Figures (Notes) General Knowledge VOL-1
– Kanpur IIT’s mechanical and nuclear engineering and technology departments wereinstrumented in designing Jugnu, a 3.5 Kg nanosatellite.Jugnu was handed over to the ISROin March, 2010.37.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI) is to give UIDnumbers to 1.2 billion people. The project will save the government more than 20,000 cr. Ayear by eliminating duplication under various schemes.38.
– India’s oldest football club is Mohan Bagan, formed in 1889, MohammedanSporting came in 1891.39.
Harijan Replaces Young India
– Young India was replaced in 1933 by the new English journal Harijan. This was brought out by Mahatma Gandhi.40.
Beginning of Film Industry
– Harishchandra S.Bhatvadekar is often considered the firstIndian filmmaker. His two short films – The Wrestlers and Man and Monkey – were releasedin Nov. 1899. The Lumiere Brothers cinematographe had unveiled six soundless short moviein Mumbai on July, 1896.41.
– The football Association (FA) Cup began in Englad in 1897. It was the first inthe world. The Durand cup tournament, which started in 1888 at shimla, is the second oldestin the world.42.
A satellite build by Engineering Students
– Of the five PSL-V-C15 launched satellites inAugust, two were indigenous ones, the studsat and cartsat was build by 35 students of sevenengineering colleges, in india.43.
The Federal Court
- In 1937 Federal Court of India was created as the highest judicialauthority in the country. It became the supreme court of India on January 26, 1950.44.
Largest Postal Network
– The world’s Largest postal network is india post. It has over 1.55lakh post offices, 89.76 percent of which are in rural areas. A post office serves 7,175 peopleon an average and cover an area of 21.21 sq km.45.
– It was a civil servant named V.P.menon who helped sardar patel in persuadingmany princely states to accede to india.46.
– Indian Plastic industry had its beginning in 1926. Combs, soap boxes andashtrays were among the first plastic items made in india.47.
Burma as part of india
– Burma was separated from india only in 1937. When the lastMughal emperor bahadur Shah Zafar was sent ot Rangoon in 1858, and the last BurmeseKing Thibaw Min to Ratnagiri in 1887, they were being exiled within the same country.48.
– Regular broadcasting in India first started in Bombay in July 23, 1927 andlater in Calcutta by india broadcasting company.49.
– Hiyang Tannaba is a seasonal boat race held during the Lai haraoba festival inManipur. In kerela, the snake boat (Chundan Vallom) race is held during the festival of Onam.50.
– India has a saving rate of over 30 percent. This is the highest in the world. Asindia’s population will remain young for a couple of decades, there will be an increase in thenumber of breadwinners. As the rate of income earners to dependents rises, the savings ratealso rises.51.
First Air Mail
– J.R.D. Tata embarked upon an epochal journey from Karachi to Bombay onOct. 15, 1932 carrying India’s first Airmail.52.
Michael O’Dwyer Assassinated
– Sir Michael O’Dwyer the governor of Punjab during the jalianwala Bagh massacre of 1919, was assassinated by Udham singh in 1940.53.
– the poona act was an agreement signed by Dr. Ambedkar, D. Rajati andBombay Cricketer P.Baloo with the congress on Sept. 24, 1932.54.
Early Film Studios
– Important studios emerged in india around 1929. These include theprabhat Film company, Ranjit Movietone, British Dominion Film Studio, the General Pictures.55.
The Jallianwala Bagh Gathering
– The Gathering on jallianwala bagh at Amritsar on April13, 1919 had collected to protest against the arrest of Dr. Saifudding Kichlew and Dr.Satyapal.56.
Accident on the rise
– the National Crime Record Bureau reports that accidents and injuriesthat snuff out or damage lives are rising three percent a year in India.57.
A top technology cluster
– Bangalore , the silicon valley and biotech capital of India, isranked among the top technology cluster of the worlds. 2184 IT companies, 743 MNCs over