KEY FACTS: APP & CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Asia Pulp and Paper (APP) undamentally believes it the company’s responsibility to improve the health,economic and social conditions o the communities where it operates. This belie guides its actions inbusiness and society throughout the world, but especially in Indonesia, where, according to the Indone-sian Central Board o Statistics, more than 30 million Indonesians live below the poverty line.
Over the years and continuing today,APP has worked with local, regional andnational government ofcials in theirshared quest to:
• Create an Indonesia that is safe and peaceful• Establish justice and democracy for all citizens• Advance the welfare of the people
Meanwhile, APP has developed astrategy aligned with the UnitedNations Millennium Goals,which include:
• Creating jobs and poverty-reduction programs• Maintaining macro-economic stability• Accelerating investments, exports and tourism• Improving access to, and quality of, education and health care• Developing infrastructure with private sectorIn meeting these objectives, APP has made much progress, but it
also understands that to truly make a lasting dierence in Indo-nesia and throughout the world, its corporate social responsibilityeorts can never cease. Following are a ew snapshots o APP’s CSRachievements.
EDUCATION IN INDONESIA
Since 2003, APP has operated on-site schools at its productionacilities or employees and their amilies who live insurrounding villages.
To offer these residents a chance for aquality education, APP:
• Constructs classroom facilities• Provides community funding for the continued operation of
secular and religious schools
• Provides school buses that transport children living in remote
• Underwrites teacher training to ensure that students receive aquality education• Underwrites scholarships for students of all ages from lower
school though university.In villages where the Indonesian government underwrites tuitioncosts, APP mills provide stationery supplies, school bags, schooluniorms, books, and other necessities to local students. Inaddition, APP mills provide direct assistance to local schools bydonating composition books that can be sold by the schools at lowcost to raise money or the school operations.
To help enable villagers to improve their standard o living, APPoers a wealth o opportunities and programs, such as:
• Allowing entrepreneurs and tradesmen to do business on-site
at production acilities
• Creating collaborative enterprises with local cooperatives• Contracting with small, independent business that earn fair
returns while meeting the production acility’s daily service needs
• Providing skills training in a variety of industries to enablevillagers to nd jobs or launch independent enterprises.