Screening, assessment, case planning,intervention and ongoing revieware the key steps in the casemanagement process.
should take place asearly as possible, at the time ofirregular arrival, detection in thecommunity with irregular status, orlodging of an asylum or protectionclaim. Where an indication ofvulnerability or risk is present, theindividual should be referred forcomprehensive assessment.
followsan indication of risk or vulnerabilityduring screening, and provides a basisfor further decision making. Throughconsideration of all systems andfactors impacting on the individual,a case manager can identify andaddress issues regarding basic needsand protection, whilst also consideringsystemic and policy issues includingthe government’s need to manage aperson’s immigration status. The casemanager will engage with the clientand all key stakeholders, includingimmigration authorities, healthprofessionals, legal counsellors, familymembers and so forth to understandrisks; vulnerabilities; strengths; andwhat kind of support the client mayneed to ensure wellbeing and timelycase resolution. This may lead to arecommendation about appropriatemanagement responses.
– Understandingthe needs and priorities of theindividual, and the individual’sunderstanding of their situation,may demonstrate what action isneeded to assist an expeditiouscase resolution, for example legalassistance or counselling to deal withexperiences of torture or trauma.Information gathered throughoutthe assessment process is thereforeconsidered and analysed with theclient, goals set, prioritised andaction plans put in place, outliningnecessary steps to reach goals,suggested timeline, and responsibleperson. Consideration and planning forpractical necessities, such as housing,health care, livelihood, social supportneeds, reporting requirements andlogistics is critical.
– The agreed case planis implemented, and should ensurecommunication, education, advocacyand facilitation of appropriate serviceinvolvement, assisting individualsto maintain a link to immigrationauthorities. Full engagement with theindividual and all key stakeholdersis critical in resolving immigrationcases and supporting vulnerableindividuals: facilitating regular caseconferences can be a productiveintervention. Using the ongoingrelationship between case managerand client, individuals are supportedto explore all possible immigrationoutcomes from the time of their casebeing opened.
Regular and ongoing review
– As work and relationships develop,the case manager will continuouslymonitor the situation so any emergingneeds or change in situationis identified and responded toaccordingly, working towards acase outcome.
– The case is closedwhen the individual departs thecountry or is granted the rightto remain in the country. In bothinstances, referral to another serviceprovider for ongoing assistance shouldbe considered if required.community and governmentare achieved, regardless of theimmigration outcome. For example,if the person is granted refugeestatus or visa, he or she may bemore likely to be well enough toengage with and make a meaningfulcontribution to society, such assupporting themselves and theirfamily. Alternatively, they may be ina better position to return home andresettle if their case is refused.
• Avoid unnecessary and wrongful
by ensuring case-by-case assessments of the risks,vulnerabilities and needs ofindividuals and exploring all optionsand supporting implementation ofappropriate decisions. With reliableinformation, authorities can makeinformed decisions related toactual flight risk or vulnerabilities.In addition, where a person isdetermined not to be a refugee oreligible for any other visa or status,case managers can support the clientto look at all remaining options,including departure.
the cAse mAnAgement process
strAtegies used by cAse mAnAgers in workingwith individuAls fAcing removAl includeexploring legAl options to remAin, thirdcountry options, relocAtion to Another AreAwithin the country of origin And repAtriAtionAssistAnce, Along with the flexibility to respondto bArriers fAcing return, such As stAbilisingheAlth conditions.