8. It Ain't Over
1. Lack of structure and discipline
2. Poor research
3. Poor CV
4. No cover letter
5. Poor networking
6. Careless follow-up
7. Poor interview skills
1. Introductory Paragraph
3. Concluding Paragraph
2. Be prepared
3. Dress for success
4. Be punctual
6. Have the answers
Some interview pitfalls to avoid:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why are you applying for this particular job?
3. What do you know about our company?
4. What makes you qualified for this particular job?
5. What can you do for us that someone else can't?
6. Why should we hire you?
7. What do you look for in a job?
8. Why are you looking to make a career change?
18. What did you most like/ dislike about your past job?
19. Describe a situation in your past where you showed initiative?
20. What were your main responsibilities in your last job?
21. What do you consider your greatest accomplishments?
22. Describe your management style (if relevant)
23. Do you work better in teams or independently?
24. How do you work under pressure?
25. What other jobs have you applied for?
26. How did you do in college?
27. What kind of hours would you like to work?
28. Do you have any questions for me?
2. Negotiate After You Have An Offer
3. Establish Job Responsibilites
4. Determine Your Salary Range Beforehand
5. Get the Employer to Reveal his Hand First
6. Let the Games Begin
7. Justify Your Counter-Offer
8. Gain Leverage by Negotiating the Job Responsibilities
9. Negotiate the Package not just the Salary
Know What You're In For
Respect the Culture
Listen and Watch
Try to Make an Immediate Contribution
Under promise, over deliver
Do Not Stray from Professional Values
Identify What You've Always Wanted to Do
Utilize and Package Old Skills
Leverage Clients and Connections
Perfect Your Marketing Kit
Build a Roadmap for Success
Don't Look Back
1. Set goals
2. Work on your Communications Skills
3. Improve your Relationships with Others
4. Learn a New Skill or Develop an Old One
5. Go the Extra Mile in Your Job
Children's Art Club
Other Kids Clubs: Language/ Maths/ Music/ Sewing Clubs
Party Favours/ Corporate Gift Baskets
Art Appreciation Lectures
Face the Problem
Ask the Right Questions
Incorporate StressBusters into your Routine
1. Find a Mentor
2. Effective Time Management
3. Manage Your Boss
4. Negotiate for What You're Worth
6. Take Ownership
1. Perfect Your Role
3. Manage His Expectations
4. Reverse Feedback
1. Formulate a Game Plan
2. Plan an Early Success
3. Know Your Team
5. Act Like a Leader
1. Maintain a long-term vision and take control
2. Build relationships both in and outside of your firm
3. Research your industry thoroughly
4. Update your skills and develop new unique skills
5. Join professional associations
6. Read the trade journals and industry literature
1. Work Experience and Education
2. Business Sensibility
3. Enthusiasm and Willingness to Learn
4. Work Ethic
5. Interpersonal Skills
Go for a walk
Make a list of Everything you hated about your job
Make a list of Everything you hate about yourself
Go to your favourite restaurant
Go for a long swim in the ocean
Go for a cruise in your car blasting your favorite song at full volume
Take up kickboxing in the evenings
Go somewhere you've always wanted to go
Get your finances in order
Buy a trashy novel and read it all in one go
Call your best childhood friend
Go window-shopping in the most expensive part of town
Open a cook book and make a lavish dinner for 20
Go for a manicure/pedicure
Go for a long massage
Go through your old photographs
Buy all the flavours of your favorite ice-cream brand
Organize all the cupboards in your house
Put fresh flowers in every corner and crevice of your house
Take up a new hobby
Go to Disneyworld
Learn a Language
Enrol in a Charity
Open a stock trading account and try to beat the indices
Take up Photography
Find a Friend with a Baby
Read Proust's Remembrances of Things Past
Do a thorough self-analysis
Take a Course
Start polishing your Job Search Skills
Learn to bake bread
Exercise your body back into shape
Practice your interviewing skills on anyone who will listen
Don't waste time
Spread the grief
Plan for Success
Read industry literature
Remember, the sky's the limit